Chapter 3: Stranger I Used to Know

I couldn't believe the guy I resented within a glance of his photo, was the man I was so fascinated about right now. In person, he could pass for a 17-year old! This guy who looked to be about 17, could afford our house, which probably cost more than what I'll ever dream of making. A million questions popped into my head. How was he so successful? How old was he exactly? How could he make so much money and become successful at a young age? Could he mentor me?

"You look a little shocked," he smiled.

"I am. I truely am. How old are you?" I asked, desperately wanting to know his secret. He was like a wizard!

"25," he smirked.

My jaw dropped. "But you don't look a day over 16! How did you do it?"

"Do what?" he asked. I realized all my questions were spilling out all at once. I needed to gradually let them out to not seem like a total stalker.

"How did you become so successful to buy that house all by yourself?"

"Brains and luck," he simply said, but I was dying to know more.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm CEO for my late father's company," he answered sadly. My questions about his success suddenly all disappeared and to fill its absence was sympathy. I didn't have a father either.

"I'm sorry," was all I said. It was the only thing I could say. I was speechless. There was so much I was finding out about him that probably would have taken years to find out.

"It's alright. He's watching over me, you know?" he said, shaking it off. Guys have this thing where they don't let their sadness show in front of a girl. I honor it. It shows that they're brave enough to let people know they're sad. They're brave enough to be different.

"I don't really know," I said truthfully. "I don't really have anyone watching over me. My dad left me and my family. I had to be the strong one and pretend like it never happened. But the problem is, that it did happen.  I've never really opened up to anyone."

"But you're telling me all of this. There's no way to run away from the truth.You're really strong to do so," he said, taking my hand and placing it in his.

"I'm Alice Hastings," I finally said. Telling someone my name is telling someone that I trust them completely and fully. It's tough for me to do these kinds of things.