Chapter 50

The water of the Hudson River gleamed calmly under the moon. Damian's tiny pack had arrived second, the Alastar family was already waiting at the edge of the river in a remote area, away from curious eyes. He kept his pack far from the Pelisians, and no bitter comments passed between them. His pack was still too afraid of them, and the Pelisians didn't dare to face them after what they'd done.

As soon as he entered Bermuda, he shook the shining water droplets out of his fur and promptly lead his pack to the temporary territory. He only needed to do a single glance at each of them to count them all.

19 present, everyone accounted for.

He didn't have a beta, and with their small numbers he didn't need one. Though Trent was unofficially acting as some kind of assistant and confidante, he hadn't officially been inducted to the rank of a beta. Damian had offered it, but the ceremony involved summoning all of the alphas and betas at the next full moon. Trent didn't want them coming to their island, especially the Pelisians, and he turned down the offer. Damian had been slightly relieved, because he didn't want to call another ceremony either, but he felt it necessary for Trent to know that he wouldn't hesitate to finalize his cousin's position when he was ready.

Heaviness blanketed over his pack as they settled at their place. No one began rolling around on the grass, there was only one young child, but he had no playmates and chose to stay near Trent, who had taken the orphan under his wing. A couple of his pack stared blankly at the pond, many more retreated to the den they were to stay in. Damian, too, went up the Cliffside to his own den. He stood at the edge, staring inside at the phantoms of the departed.

Exactly one year ago, he and Kevin stood in the corner, they were teasing each other mercilessly and began wrestling, all in good fun. His father was laying at the mouth to soak up the moon with his eyes closed.

"Kevin," Devon scolded, lifting his head when their shouts and mock snarls were too much for him. "Enough, leave your brother alone!"

"It's practice!" Kevin laughed in defense.

"Practice?" Damian had gasped. "I don't need practice!"

"Let's be honest, little bro. You've never beat me."

"I let you win!" Damian claimed.

That started another bout between them. Devon had sighed and lounged again, letting their antics fade to the back of his mind. After all, boys would be boys.

Damian sighed heavily, the empty den gazed back with a hole in its heart. There were so many dens in the mountain that were completely empty now, while a few had only one person left to come greet them. His pack had found a way to go about their daily lives. They settled into their new home, he had even finished his first semester of college with high grades. But, certain events, like the solstice, made them feel their losses and remember that only 365 days before, they had everything.

Howls from the alphas took the air as each pack reported that all were accounted for, Damian joined in. When the song fell, he and his pack began to travel to the main rock for the start of the convention. He continued to keep his pack far from the Pelisians, and it wasn't just for them. He didn't know how to face Kayla after he'd left. She would demand an answer from him, rightfully so, and he wasn't sure he was ready to give her one. It was still too soon for him to even look at her.

Logan started the convention, since his pack had been the first to arrive. He announced the year's successes and failures, biggest among them was that his hotel chain had just expanded, bringing much more wealth into his pack. He presented the sweet sixteeners, and allowed his youngest daughter, the heir of his pack, to make a speech as well. When he concluded, all the packs cheered and praised him with high hopes and favors. He fell into those cheers, giving Damian an assuring glance because he knew it was the young, new alpha's turn.