2 - Evacuwee

I ran to Miss Bird. "Hello," I said.

"Hello, Genevieve. How are you?"

"Good. Mummy told me to come to you so I can be checked in."

"That's right. Can I take your bag?"

I gave it to her. "It's quite heavy so you have to bend your knees when you pick it up otherwise you might hurt your back. That's what Mummy said."

"Ok, I'll make sure to do that Genevieve. You leave it with me and I'll give it back to you when we leave school, once I've had a look inside it. Ok?"

"Ok," I said. Then I ran to my classroom.

My classroom was quite big and had lots of tables and chairs. My seat was next to Charlotte Johnson and Willis Conner. I took off my coat and put it on the coat rack.

Miss Hassell came and said hello to me.

"Hello Miss Hassell," I replied.

"Would you like to come play with the letter blocks?"

"Ok." The letter blocks are fun, although once Lee Bell got told off because he spelt a really bad word and we were told to never ever repeat it.

I spelt lots of words. I spelt 'cat' and 'mouse' and 'train' and I wanted to spell 'Genevieve' but Shelley Pratt wouldn't give me the 'v'.

"But I need two," I said.

"I need it. I'm spelling 'evacuee'."

"What's that?"

"We're evacuees. We're going to live in the countryside. That's what an evacuee is."

"Let me spell it with you."

"No, I can spell it all by myself. Have you got a 'w'?"

I told her I didn't so she took Lee Bell's 'w' from 'water'.

"Hey," he said, 'that's my 'w'."

"I need it to spell 'evacuee'," said Shelley. "There."

I looked at her word.

e   v   a   c   u   w   e   e 

"That's nice," I said.

"That's wrong," said Lee Bell.