1 - School

September 1st, 1939

Today Mummy took me to school. She said I'm not going to school today but she took me anyway. We walked because our house is very close. I wore my school uniform and my black school shoes with the buckles. We lined up in the playground like we do everyday except when it's wet and we get to go straight inside. Today was sunny. I said that to Mummy.

"Yes, it's a beautiful day today."

"That's not what I meant I just meant it was sunny".

"I know, sweetie". Then she looked away. I thought she was sad.

"Are you sad?"

"Yes, I am."

"Why?"

"Genevieve, you aren't going to school today."

"But I am. I'm in the playground. And there's Miss Bird and Miss Hassell".

"Genevieve, do you remember what I told you yesterday?"

"Yes, you said I was going to the countryside. But you can't miss school to go to the countryside. Lee Bell always does that and the teachers get mad."

"This is different. This isn't a holiday".

"Lee Bell says it isn't a holiday when he goes. He says he hates his grandma."

"Genevieve, you're going to be living in the countryside, remember? And I'm not coming with you and that's why I'm sad."

"Oh yeah. But will you come visit?"

"I don't know, sweetie. I don't know where you are going or when you'll come home."

"You said I'm going to the countryside".

"Yes, but the countryside is a big place."

"London is a big place."

"The countryside is bigger, much bigger."

"Bigger than England?"

Mummy laughed. "No, England is a country. The countryside is in England".

"And you're not coming."

"I'm not coming."

"But if it's such a big place, why can't you come too?"

"Not everybody can go to the countryside. Some people have to stay in the cities. But we can write letters."

"I'll write you lots of letters."

"I'll write you lots too. I'm going to miss you very, very much."

"I'm going to miss you too, Mummy. You're crying."

"I know," she said, and I saw a tear go all the way down her cheek. Then I felt sad.

"What about I stay here?" I said.

"You can't, sweetie, it's not safe."

"Rosalie McCarthy is staying."

"I know, but I want you to go to the countryside. You're going to make lots of new friends and you are going to a new school. It will be very exciting."

"Ok."

Mummy gave me a brown case. "In here is your lunch, the clothes you picked out yesterday and a few other things like your tooth brush and a washcloth."

"Did you pack Princess?"

"Yes, I did."

At the front of the line, people started going into school. I gave Mummy a big hug. "Bye bye".

"Bye bye, Genevieve. I'm going to see you in about an hour at the station."

"The station? Oh yeah, with the train."

"That's right. We'll say our proper goodbyes there. Now why don't you go to Miss Bird now, and she'll check you in. I'll see you soon."