I didn't look her up the first ten or so times that an email meant for her showed up in my inbox instead, but when it became a regular thing, I did a little research. I even sent her an email letting her know that I was getting some of her mail. The poor woman gets hundreds of emails a day from all across the country so she sent a quick response thanking me and letting me know she'd run a quick notice reminding her readers to be more careful when typing in the address. It hasn't really helped.

I haven't checked my phone since before the party so three new emails are waiting for me. On second thought, none of the three are actually for me. I click open the first message and try to focus on the words through the hazy fog of alcohol.

From: Jill Holt>

To: WesLee >

__________________________________________________

Rude Mother-in-Law

July 23, 2015 at 7:56 PM

__________________________________________________

Dear Weslee,

My mother-in-law is constantly telling me that my children smell like they've been playing in the dirt on a hot day. I know that I often let my kids go for days without bathing, but I feel like it is rude of her to say such things. How should I tell her to mind her own business and just love my children for who they are?

Sincerely,

A very angry daughter-in-law

I scrunch my nose up as I imagine dirty kids running amuck while their grandma is in town. I guess she will never know how to tell her mother-in-law to mind her own business because I delete the email with a sloppy press of my thumb and don't even feel guilty about it at all. Attention to detail. If she were paying better attention, her email would have made it to her intended target. Next.

From: Jane Hoiser >

To: WesLee >

____________________________________________________

Socks have gone missing

____________________________________________________

July 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Dear Weslee,

My socks keep going missing. I have two teenage boys living in my house and all of the socks keep going missing. I'm not sure how to bring it up. Do you have any advise on how to approach this topic without embarrassment?

Thank you,

Sockless

I almost fall off my chair laughing at that one. I want to write her back and let her know she should probably just buy more socks because nothing good is going to come out of that conversation. Instead I forward it to my buddy's because they too have been enjoying this little email mishap. We have the best ones printed out and hanging in our barracks back at base. This one will make top twenty for sure.

I click open the last email ready to forward it if it gets any better than poor Sockless. I'm doubtful given that the subject line read Books? Nothing very funny can follow that.

From: Secret >

To: WesLee >

________________________________________________

Books?

July 23, 2015 at 10:26 PM

________________________________________________

Dear Weslee,

I'm in a serious relationship with a boy I've known for a few years. Everything was great until a few months ago. The first time he hit me I thought it must have been an accident, but he's done it again tonight and I don't know how to help us. Maybe it's something I've done. I don't think he's hit any of his other girlfriends. Obviously this isn't something I can go to friends or my parents about so I'm hoping you could point me in the direction of a few books that might help me figure out how to make it all stop.

Sincerely,

Heartbroken

I feel the smile that was on my lips drop. My heart races in my chest and my hand that's not holding my phone tightens into a fist. I wish this were a joke because the thought of some girl out there being hit by a man makes my stomach turn. I reread it to be sure I've read it correctly. Even with my brain marinating in alcohol, I can still see trouble when it's spelled out in front of me. I think about forwarding the email to the person it was really intended for, but I don't know if I trust her enough to answer it correctly. What if she makes this girl feel like it's her fault? What if she actually gives her books to read instead of telling her that she shouldn't even waste her time with a man like that?

Without another moment of hesitation, I hit reply and reach out to Heartbroken—an anonymous girl in a world of trouble.