Destined Love - Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Why are your clothes in your truck?" Cole questions stoically.

Tristan shrinks further into his seat.

"I wonder who told you that," I mumble bitterly.

Cole frowns. "Well, at least someone told me, because I doubt you would have."

"Eventually I would've," I respond with a shrug. "Tristan ought to keep his nose out of my business."

"It's my business too, Kade. I have the right to know, whatever it is." Like a flick of a switch, he slips into serious mode. "Obviously something is goin' on, so what is it?"

Although earlier than expected, as I scowl at the grim facial expression Cole pins me with, I decide that telling him now will speed up the process.

"I'm movin' out."

"You're what—why? I thought we figured this out?" Genuinely shocked, he rises in his seat.

"For one, no matter what she says, Sally hates me livin' here, and you practically live up her ass—"

"—I already told you we'd compromised on that."

"And secondly," I  continue faultlessly, "I'm twenty three now, and it's about time I had my own place."

His blue eyes turn a dull shade. "But...I thought you enjoyed living here?"

I shake my head. "It's got nothin' to do with that. This is about independence."

"What does it matter where or who you live with? You can still be independent!"

"Cole," I voice brusquely, "this isn't a discussion. I'm moving out, and that's all there is to it."

He leans back into his chair. "So there's nothing I can say or do that'll change your mind?"

The hurt timbre of his voice is undeniable.

"Not a single thing."

I switch my gaze to Tristan, who remains slumped in his seat, his body shifted even closer to Sadie's than before; her hand lays against the side of his thigh—a gesture that could be passed as either friendly or intimate. Either way, Tristan's hunched shoulders visibly relax as her fingers splay across the material of his jeans, as if her touch is physically soothing. 

"Can we at least make a deal then?" Cole offers with a hopeful  twitch of his lips.

Raising my eyes to his, I lift a brow in question.

"Would you be willin' to stay here for just a few more months?" He offers. "Then I can help you search for a place, I'll even help with organizing some furniture. I know a guy who knows a guy at a warehouse a couple of towns over, I can arrange for a discount—"

"I don't need your help." I cut him off with a groan. "And I'm capable of buying my own furniture. I'm not an invalid, hombre."

"Well, I'm fully aware of that." There's a short pause as he takes a composing breath. "This is just what friends do; we help each other—and if you want your own place, I'll help you. Just...don't be in such a rush to move out."

"My Uncle is a real estate agent." Sadie suddenly turns in her seat and faces me, her cheeks glowing a light shade of pink. "I can ask him to find you a suitable apartment, when you're ready. He probably has a lot of pamphlets in his office, I can get you some if you'd like."

Although cautiously, Tristan angles his body towards where I stand. "And I can—"

"—I want no help from you, pendejo." I spit out. "I don't want help from any of you."