Destined Love - Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:

"I visit this river twice a week," Ariella responds moments later, her fingers splayed against the skin of her arms.

"I obviously didn't know." I slip my hands into the back of my pockets.

"Just like you didn't know I worked at McDonalds and the Supermarket?" She questions unconvincingly.

"Exactly."

Under the moonlight, I watch as her eyes slowly dart around the river front, shifting her feet nervously. With a crease to my lips, I step forwards.

"Would you like me to leave?"

She shakes her head, and her golden curls fall over her shoulders. "I'm sorry if I came across as offensive. I'm just not used to seeing other people down this end of the river; I'm usually the only one that comes here to think."

It's the most I've ever heard her say, and it sends a thrill through me.

As she silently waits for my reply, I focus on her clothing. Finally, she's wearing something different to her baggy pants and two-sizes-too-large shirts. In the place of her black pants are a pair of dark blue denim shorts that hug her waist, showing off the shape of her thin hips. A pale blue shirt covers her chest; it fits against her small breasts, shaping them noticeably. I instantly notice that they are far smaller than what I ever look for on a girl in the past.

Fuck. Why am I always comparing her to other women?

"This is quite a large area, chica, I'm sure you're kind enough to share."

She blinks before replying. "Well, of course, but...you were sitting on my rock."

The corner of my lip lifts into a smirk. "I don't see your name on it, mi chava."

"That's...lame."

Her reply shocks me momentarily.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," I find my words, "the shy girl has spunk."

My amused smile fades as she eyes the grass below us stiffly.  "I'm sorry, that was rude."

I shift my position as my brow furrows in confusion. "Why are you apologising?"

She lifts her eyes; my feet itch to move closer to her. "My response was disrespectful."

Her sincere apology sends a wave of unfamiliarity through me. Awkwardly, I tense my shoulders.

"Don't worry about it." I clear my now dry throat. "I'm leavin' anyway."

Instantly, she holds up two hands, gesturing for me to stop. "No, you can stay if you like. You were right, this area is large enough, and I had no right to claim the rock."

As I reach the top of the hill where she stands—making sure to keep several metres of distance between us—I give her a shake of my head, hoping it doesn't show the intense crick in my neck.

"I was only down here to have a beer, and if you hadn't of shown up, I woulda been on my way back home by now anyway."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." I nod rigidly. "Adios."

Forgetting about my empty beer bottle, I quickly amble my way up the hill and and follow a familiar pathway. I kick a rock in aggravation, cursing myself for staying back there long enough to notice how absolutely captivating she looked tonight. How could such a plain, normally unnoticeable girl appear so clear and alluring to me? It goes way past my comprehension.