Chapter Three : Poe is Dead

As soon as the final TIE was shot down and we jetted off away from Jakku, I let out a sigh of relief. We'd finally gotten away. My two new companions knew what they were doing, the girl being an expert pilot, and the man being an excellent shot on the blasters, and together we left the First Order and Jakku behind. 

Instantly I wanted to laugh with joy at the thought of getting away from Jakku after so long. Of course it was a relief to escape the First Order too, since even with my long history of being a rebel nothing matched the feeling of having one-up on the enemy, but to leave that sandy wasteland was a true moment of excitement. I hated sand, perhaps something to do with my upbringing on Tatooine, and to be away from it after so many years felt like a weight off my chest, the sight of open space feeling like an old friend. I took in a deep breath, savouring the sight of the Falcon operational once more and enjoying the sight of the stars after so long, my hand going to my pocket as I stroked the golden dice tucked inside, thanking them for the luck they'd brought me. 

After a moment of silent celebration, I turned my attention to the girl next to me the same grin of triumph and relief playing across her face, especially as she put the Falcon into auto-mode, turning to face me properly. Despite the doubts creeping into my mind over whether leaving Jakku was actually a good thing, in case my Dad and Chewie came looking for the Falcon or in case Poe and my Mother were looking for me, I grinned back at the girl, trying to share her excitement.

"You're a damn good pilot, where'd you learn to fly like that?" I asked before she could say anything, knowing I'd not seen piloting like it since the last time I'd seen Poe. 

"Just practice," she told me with a casual shrug. "I go scavenging on Jakku so I know engines and space crafts pretty well. I actually broke into this one a few times to check it out, its pretty old fashioned, and needs work in places but its a good ship," 

Her words made me freeze, the Solo in my kicking in as I took offence at her saying the ship was old-fashioned. It was, but it was my ship, my Dad's ship, and before that my Uncle Lando's ship, and any sentimentality I had for it took over when considering how it looked. That wasn't the only thing that bothered me, as I noted her saying she snuck into the Falcon. I always slept in the smuggling pits with the covers pulled over to hide me, so it was possible for her to have come in and never noticed me, but how had I not noticed, not sensed anything? Maybe she'd snuck in on the few nights I'd left to go and find supplies, but still, the thought of someone else being on the ship made me nervous. 

"Hey!" a voice called, snapping me away from my train of thought, and the man's voice was echoed by a whistle from BB-8.

The noise of the droid brought me back to reality, brought my mind back to Poe. With a grin, I quickly hopped out of my seat, and ran from the cockpit, down the corridor and into the living area, where the droid and the man were waiting. I didn't want to seem rude, but I didn't really see the man, instead kneeling down by the excited droid, laughing at the sight of him rolling around me in happiness, especially as he beeped out a greeting to me. 

"Hey, buddy!" I cheered, rubbing my hands on his spherical body as he rolled into my knees, whistling and beeping at me. "It's good to see you too, you little legend! I know, I know I've been gone ages, but how are things, how's my Mum? How's..." 

I drifted off, realising that the droid's excitement had turned to urgency, bumping into my knee harshly. I frowned, remembering my past thought about how wherever BB-8 was, Poe wasn't far behind. Where was he? The droid whistled something at me that made me realise something else, and as I glanced up at the man standing over in the corner, I felt dread fill me. His jacket wasn't just similar to Poe's, it was Poe's. I got to my feet, heading over to him with a frown, trying to fight away any feelings of anxiety as I was desperate for the truth, facing up to the man with determination.