15

**Unknown POV**

I throw a week's worth of clothes in my duffel bag and zip it up, picking up my phone as I head out the door of my apartment. Zayn needed me, and it was urgent.

I get into the car and make my way to the airport, slipping the airline ticket out of my back pocket and setting it on the passenger seat. I pull out my phone and send a quick text to Zayn, telling him I'm on my way.

After going through security and all that annoying stuff, I finally board the plane. I'm stuck sitting in between a businessman in a suit and an elderly lady. I groan, pull out my headphones, and block out the rest of the world. The elderly woman looks at me with an expression that undeniably said she was scared of me.

I mean, with my tough muscular build, my tattoos, and my lip piercing, I can totally understand where she's coming from. Not to mention my handsome face.

She opens her mouth as if to say something but is cut off by the flight attendant, and I smirk. She notices it and huffs, turning away from me. I have the magic ability to piss people off without even trying.

This was going to be a very long two and a half hours.

**Callie POV**

For some reason, Zayn wasn't at school today, so I went through the day not speaking a single word to anyone. I'm out of the school as soon as the bell rings.

I text Zayn to see why he wasn't at school, but he doesn't respond. I was really hoping to hang out with him so I don't have to go back to my house and face my mother, but looks like I'm out of luck.

I walk home, but when I reach the front step, I hear something. Stuff breaking, glass smashing.

Looking in the window, I see my drunken mother, sprawled out on the couch with six broken beer bottles next to her. The paintings were off the walls and couch cushions were thrown across the room.

I knew it. Somewhere deep in me I wanted to believe that my mother would change, and I would finally have someone in my life that actually cared, but who was I kidding? That was never going to happen for me.

I hear my mother swear loudly, picking pieces of amber glass off the floors and hanging up the paintings. She fixes her hair and smooths her wrinkled clothes, and then I see her pick up a small bottle and drip the solution into her eyes. She leaves the room and I collapse on the porch, ready to cry.

The front door opens and my mother comes out onto the porch with a glass of water, and stops dead in her tracks when she sees me.

"You're never going to change," I mutter. She doesn't say anything, and the look on her face is regret.

"Callie," but I don't let her speak.

"No, mom, I'm not in the mood for your excuses. You're addicted, and if you want to change, you're going to have to try a lot harder to break that addiction." I walk past her and she tries to grab my arm but I avoid her.

"Please," she whispers. I look her in the eyes and her expression is begging me for another chance, but I've given her too many already.

I walk away from the house, not looking back. I don't plan on coming back until very early in the morning.

I make my way to the main street, and decide to kill time in the library. I find a table in the back of the library and start to sketch what I think is my next tattoo.

I have a flock of birds on my right collarbone, a star on my left index finger and an anchor on the back of my neck. They were just small things that I liked, my father had an anchor tattoo identical to mine, and Abbie had a star on her right index finger. It was the symbol of our friendship.

For the next couple hours, I draw multiple random tattoos I want to get one day, plugged in my music. For once, I actually felt okay.

By the time I'm finished with my sixth sketch, I notice it's 8 and the library is closing. I didn't have dinner, so I just decided to swing by McDonald's to pick something up.

I pull my hood over my head and keep my head down as I walk, because despite the small population of the town, the crime rate was high. I don't know why my parents chose to live here of all places.

I walk by an alley, and I turn my head slightly and notice a pair of feet heading towards me. I walk faster but the feet follow me, so I start to run. Unfortunately, I'm not too skilled in the athletics department, so they catch up to me really quickly.

A hand grabs me and pulls me into an alley, forcing my hood off.

"Hi there," a voice says, sending chills down my spine. I look up and see the face of a man I swear I've seen before.

"Remember me?" He says with a grin.

I widen my eyes. I've heard that voice before, I've seen that dragon tattoo on his arm before... But what did he want with me?