Chapter 5

Flat, featureless and largely empty save for the Starfleet installation, Iowa was boring day in and day out.

Kirk thought this as he sped along, excelling the speed limit just to add a bit of thrill to his journey. Endless fields of corn and the occasional farm and grain tower, dominated the stretches of land, further then the eye could see.

Kirk mused as he leant forward on the spokeless motorcycle: he'd grown up with this scenery.

He wondered if there was much left for him here. The bar fight last night had shaken him up. Did he really want to live a life of crawling around every pub, waking up boozy and disorientated every morning? Did he really like playing out complicated mathematical equations just for the entertainment of others just to prove he was smart?

His trademark sarcasm could only get him so far and so far ended with a good beating, which didn't sound so amusing as it once had.

Pike had made him consider these factors. He's clouded his head with stories of his father: heroism and accomplishment.

The bike cruised on through and suddenly the wrapped spider web of metal loomed in the distance showing the scaffolding and the star ship that was under construction.

Starfleet obviously chose Iowa as a prime place to construct such ships due to the lack of residence and the vast expanses of flat land.

His bike idling almost silently, Kirk gazed up at the great ship. It would be another few year before it was complete but it was still enormous and the pieces of metal being lugged about were bigger still. Kirk spotted one with massive black letters stencilled on it: U.S.S. Enterprise.

She was the newest model, Kirk observed, and represented Starfleets latest design.

Kirk knew that he was drawn to what would be the physical beauty of the ship with its natural charm, stance and grace . . .

Was he comparing a ship to a person?

He shook himself and was about to turn the bike away, reconsidering his decision but feeling the ever great pull of the challenge the ship sparked.

Pike stood at the door of the shuttlecraft, in the heart of the construction and assembly complex. He kept his gaze focused on the main gate of the yard though . . . waiting.

Kez walked up and handed over a small touch tablet, "Gunna be a beauty of a ship when she's done Captain, bet you're very proud." She smiled widely.

Pike nodded, "She doesn't look like it yet though, does she?" He gestured to the looming framework and semi complete ship.

Kez laughed, "Rome wasn't built in a day sir." Then she paused and looked in the direction of the main gate, "Has he come yet?"

Pike shook his head, "No, best get aboard Cadet." He gestured behind him as Kez sighed and wondered onto the craft, but probably not to her seat.