Friendship Never Dies - chapter 4

Hi!! I just got my first Wattpad fan! *Victory dance* So this chapter is dedicated to them. Anywho, enjoy!  30SecondsToMadness =) xx

Chapter 4

I woke up to cracked, off-white ceiling tiles and the curly haired nurse bending over me, splashing water on my forehead. I could feel the film of sweat on my face and when I tried to sit up, embarrassed, the room span, blurring the colours together. The nurse’s podgy fingers pushed me back down effortlessly. As my hair splayed like rats tails around my head, I felt groggy, like there was a mist in my mind, stopping me thinking clearly.

And then I remembered. It all came back with an almost audible pop.

“Nicole,” I gasped, springing back up, ignoring the rush of blood from my head to my feet.

“She’s right here honey, its ok.” the nurse reassured me kindly. My eyes searched the office, looking for my fatally ill best friend. Nicole stepped out from behind the nurse, concern clear on her face.

 “Nic, are you ok?” I asked wearily. To my surprise she laughed. Just a weak echo of her normal giggle, but still it was a laugh. “You’re the one that fainted and you’re asking if I’m ok?” she giggled incredulously again, her eyebrows raised. She muttered something under her breath and I thought I picked out the words ‘Stupid’ and ‘reaction’. She gave me a hesitant hug, trying to reassure me.

 “No, really are you ok?” I asked, both of us serious now. She knew what I meant.

“Rachel, I’m fine.” she sighed, pulling away, and flashed me a watery smile. The silence then seemed so out of place, like it wasn’t supposed to be there, like something was missing. But I could hear the words as clearly as if she had said them. Yes she was fine – for now. But it was only a matter of time. We had to fit years of friendship into a few months, maybe one year if we were lucky. I almost started crying when I thought of this, but I fought back the tears. I had to be strong, for Nicole - For me.

When we finally persuaded the nurse that I was ok, she let us go giving me a warning to come back to her if I felt woozy and eyeing us sternly as we walked out the door, not entirely convinced that I was stable and her hands ready if I was about to collapse again. We strolled back to class, moving slowly to avoid Madame Charpe’s French test that no one had revised for.

“Nicole?” I broke the awkward silence, reluctantly.

“Yeah,” she replied, absently, not really listening.

 “Do you know h-how much time you’ve got left?” I almost whispered, not really wanting to hear the answer. Nicole stopped suddenly and hugged me again, fiercely this time.

“Is that what you’ve been worrying about?” she pulled back to look at me, daring me to lie. I nodded miserably, too afraid to speak in case the wall of tears stinging in the back of my throat broke through. “Rachel, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s not that bad.” Again, that speaking silence. Yet . I looked away from her, not believing her. “Rachel,” she moaned, frustrated now. My head snapped up at her tone. “The doctors can fix it,” she continued, sounding like she was trying to convince herself as well as me.

“Yes they can, as in it’s scientifically possible. Doesn’t mean that they will.” I pointed out, adamant. To my surprise anger flashed wild in her eyes as she stepped away, as if repulsed by me.

 “Shut up, Rachel! You act like you want that to happen! Do you think I want this?! Do you?!” she exclaimed then, not waiting for an answer she ran off aimlessly. I stumbled back, stupidly frightened at her reaction and the torrent of fiery accusations that had rolled off her tongue. I sat down in shock, my back pressed against the wall, my chin on my knees and let the tears that I’d been holding back fall. When my tears ran dry I didn’t bother getting up. I just stared up at the ceiling and let the pessimistic thoughts buzz through my head, not caring enough to stop them. Let her think what she wants. I don’t care. I lied to myself. But I did care. And that was what hurt so much. Because if she… I couldn’t even think the word to myself. If she…died, I shuddered physically at the thought. If she died, I couldn’t handle it. I knew that for sure.