Friendship Never Dies Chapter 2

This is my first book on Wattpad. This story is for all those people who are bullied or feel alone or know what it's like to have something then lose it. Enjoy! =) xx

Chapter 2

     So I was very surprised when Mr.Stayne knocked timidly and shuffled into the room, like he was the one in the wrong (!!) – To apologise to me.

 Apparently Nicole had seen him after I left and explained. Everyone knew that Nicole wasn’t a liar, and Mr.Stayne had reluctantly given Chloe a detention for lying to him. I knew I shouldn’t have, but I felt kind of smug.

I went to find Nicole at lunch and found her in a quiet corner of the library, alone as usual. I went to sit next to her, and as the papers on the desk ruffled she looked up to see me.

“Hey,” she grinned nervously at me.

“Hi,” I returned, taking a seat. She looked back at her work, but when I took a breath to start my speech, she slid it to one side and gave me her full attention, her gaze unwavering. This unnerved me a bit, but I put on a confident front and began, though I had butterflies in my stomach. I didn’t want to ruin my one chance at a proper friendship.

 “Listen, Thanks for stickin’ up for me earlier…” I paused to search for the right way to say what I was going to say.

 “But why did I do it?” Nicole finished my sentence for me. I nodded, blushing.

She thought for a moment, twirling her pen through her fingers and staring at the spot near to the sun.

“Well…” She searched for the right words to answer my nosey question. Finally she said; “I’ve seen the way Chloe treats you and I don’t like it. And to be honest, I don’t understand it?” she emphasized her last sentence so that it was a question.

I wasn’t sure whether this was a rhetorical question or not but I hurried to answer it anyway;

 “Well… me and Chloe went to primary school together and…” I debated whether to carry on or not, and I must have looked uneasy because she hurried to say

 “You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want to.” I shook my head at her and continued my broken off sentence. “I used to be… overweight. Chloe never let me forget that.”

Nicole smiled sympathetically at me and nodded like she understood.

I was slightly incredulous at this; how could she know? But I pushed my doubts to one side - Maybe she did understand. I wiped my head clean of self-pitying thoughts and I ended up telling her practically my whole life story.

Once I’d finished Nicole let out a low whistle. “Tough time, huh?” she asked. I nodded again. “Look, there was another reason I bailed you out.” she paused, looking embarrassed. I nodded encouragingly at her and she took a deep breath.

After school me and Nicole walked home together – and surprisingly we had a lot in common – but nothing can ever go right in my life it seems - inevitably Chloe and her evil crones ambushed us at the gate.

We’re dead I thought.  “Well, if it isn’t the pig and the snitch.” She sneered.  Her cronies guffawed at that. I was glad that I could control my mouth because I certainly couldn’t control my mind. Is she blind as well as stupid?! I clamped my lips shut, to stop me from saying it out loud.

 Unfortunately I couldn’t say the same for Nicole.  “Just get lost, Chloe.” Nicole spat out, her voice acidic. I stared at her in disbelief and horror. What was she doing?!  Nicole was glaring at Chloe, with no fear in her eyes, her chin jerked up in defiance.

 “Ooh, I’m soooo scared!” Chloe replied sarcastically, laughing. Then her face turned deadly serious, her eyes turned to ice and her smile turned cold. You won’t be able to forget your little stunt, you know.” Chloe snarled, imagining an easy victory.

 “You had it coming” Nicole mumbled, bitterly. What the hell?! Is she suicidal?!

 “What was that, grass?” Chloe snapped, her head snapping up to meet Nicole’s furious gaze. But Nicole just stared her down, daring her to push her over the edge. But Chloe didn’t get the message. “What are you looking at?’ she snapped roughly.

 “Dunno, but it’s staring back,” Nic retorted, flicking her hair back. Chloe started to say something else, but Nicole arched on eyebrow and the words seemed to evaporate from Chloe’s mouth.

Nicole took my arm and she dragged us away, throwing a poison glance over her shoulder towards Chloe, just as she registered what Nicole had said.

She stared after us in disbelief, her crones dancing around her, not quite sure what to do with themselves. Even I was speechless as Nicole dragged me away. Finally I grabbed a train of thought and forced it out of my mouth.

 “Where in hell did that come from?!” I blurted out. I had never heard Nicole speak so much, let alone so aggressively.

“My mouth,” she replied simply and grinned at me. The shock wore off as we rounded the corner and I started giggling.

 “Did you see her face?!” I spluttered, and my shoulders heaved with laughter. Nicole joined in, and soon we were howling, tears pouring down our faces, stitches in our sides, but we didn’t care.