Prologue

The first thing I learned about closets is that you can't force someone to come out.

No justification would ever be enough to out someone without their consent or before they are ready. Everyone has their reasons for living the way they do. It may not make sense to you but if it makes sense to the only person to whom it should make sense then it's really none of your business now is it?

But if you're planning on hiding in Narnia for a while, then you can't enter a relationship with someone who's out... at least not if you want the relationship to last.

You can't expect him or her to be happy staying with someone who carries their closet everywhere. Pretty soon the secret meetings... the silent hugs... the stolen glances will no longer be enough to keep the passion flowing. Then the resentment, the bitterness, and the jealousy will be too much to handle.

It hurts both you and your partner to stay together while living two different lives. And while you're happy and content that you're getting everything you want out of your relationship (the security of your closet and the warmth of your lover's embrace) someone has to give in... either your partner hides with you, or you come out.

But then again, the second thing I learned about closets is that you can't force someone to go back in.