The Phoenix Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

Lots of questions I don't know the answer to.

"Well there's one problem; I don't really have my records. They're at my old school which is very far away and kind of hard to contact. Would those be necessary?" I ask him.

He nods.

"Very."

"Fu-," I stop myself. "Oh. I can see what I can come up with."

There is no way I'll get them in time. What else can I bribe him with?

"What about the payment?" He asks me. "Would you be able to provide that within the next week?"

The check.

I smile and stuff my hand inside my pocket, feeling for it.

"I can provide it right now, sir." I say as I slap the wrinkled check upon the desk.

He seems surprised as he takes the check from me and examines it; his eyes furrowing into confusion after a few seconds.

"Is this a joke?" He asks me.

I look intently at him, clearly unaware of what he's talking about.

"You walk in here last minute with no records and a check signed by River Phoenix."

Oh.

"It's legit, I swear." I answer.

He studies me and sets the check to the side.

"You have a week for those records." He says again.

-

I can't stop thinking about the awkward encounter at the campus as I arrive back home.

As I open the door, an array of screams fill my ears.

I flinch as I notice that River is surrounded by the rest of his family.

"Welcome to Florida!" I hear Rain yell.

She darts at me so quickly that I lose balance while she crashes into me.

Somehow, I manage to stay on my feet.

"Well, hello to you too." I say, breaking from our embrace.

One by one I greet River's family; each of them looking significantly older from the last time I'd seen them, especially Joaquin.

He had grown into a charming 17 year old, and I could tell by the look on River's face that he was proud.

"You got tall." I tell Joaquin, tossing my arms around his waist.

"That tends to happen as you grow up." He mocks, still smiling as he pulls away.

"Ha-ha. Funny." I say.

He sends me a wink as I greet Liberty, who's now 15, and Summer, who is now 13.

"I missed you guys." I say into their curly hair.