XIII.

Nor⭐️Cal

I woke up the next morning feeling at my absolute lowest. My covers pulled up over my shoulders and my back to the door. There was no sunlight to come through the window so my room remained very dark.

My phone vibrated on the edge of my pillow, looking over I saw it was CJ calling. Letting it go to voicemail, he began to call and I let it just go to voicemail again. This time I turned it off, letting it slide off the pillow onto the rug beside my bed. He was the last person I wanted to talk to right now.

"Vanity, come downstairs." Dad called out to me. Throwing the blankets off of me, I rolled out of bed. When I walked down the stairs, I forced a smile so he wouldn't assume something was wrong. He hasn't pressed for me to tell him my side and he seemed to be more easy going. Not by much but the tension that was hanging heavy earlier on in the week was no longer there.

"Good morning, Dad." I said. He had some papers nearly spread out on the counter top in the kitchen. "What's all this?"

"I have to handle the restaurant today like usual, if a man comes knocking on the door named Mr.Andrews, be sure to give him all these papers. I don't know when he's coming by, I'm hoping not till after I get home but just stay at the house till I get home, okay?"

"Sure. I just give him all eight papers?" I asked when I counted out eight papers set side by side.

"If he comes by. It's legal documents for the building we bought for the restaurant, make sure each paper is given to him."

"Alright, easy enough. What time will you be home?"

"Noon or one. Thank you for doing this for me, I'll see you when I get back." He gave me a quick side hug before walking out of the kitchen with his keys in hand. The door that led to the garage was closed behind him and I stood here just glaring at these documents one by one till my stomach growled.

Digging around in the fridge, there was nothing that looked appetizing. I found some yogurt and thought about adding some granola to it but that thought didn't stick around long enough for me to go through with it.

***

After taking a long shower, changing into some comfier pajamas then dragging my blanket and pillows downstairs to the couch. I laid there bundled up staring at the TV but not really paying attention to what was going on on the screen.

I kept replaying what CJ had said to me, also what Rack City had said it only made me feel worse. I've never been one to like drugs at all and opposed it for the longest, yet here I am in my living room just waiting for the pill to take it's affect. I said this was the last time I was buying from Rack City and I mean it. I'm not going to him for anymore and later on today I'm going to look into methods to cope with this sadness I'm always feeling.

Another layer of guilt to add onto myself was when I decided not to attend the service for Mickey's death. I should have agreed to go but I don't know. It's not that I had anything against her- there's just a lot wrong with me. Nothing more to say about that.

Laying here in my happy state, I had no problems on my shoulders. Nothing in the back of my mind eating away at me and it was sweet relief. Things on the TV seemed more interesting as the colors were more vibrant- even the blankets felt softer against my skin which brought on a warm soothing sensation. If only I could be like all this time without the aide of these pills.

My phone was now turned on and sitting on the coffee table, in which it vibrated. Reaching my hand out from under the safety of the blanket, the cold air stung my arm but I grabbed the phone and slid my finger across the slick surface.