Chapter 5: We were wrong

Start from the beginning

'Okay and now tell me what you really want.' He managed to keep a straight face which made me smile.

'Okay I'll have tea and a piece of cake.' I giggled and covered my smile with my hand.

The TV was already switched on and some type of show was on, so I just focused my eyes and paid attention.

Soon, he was back from the kitchen with my tea, his coffee and multiple slices of cake.

He settled everything down and I helped him with the cake slices. I added sugar to my tea and we settled down on the comfortable sofa soon enough.

'So, to finish off from yesterday,' he said after some silence of eating and watching TV. 'You said you were going college soon. What are you studying?'

I was a little puzzled at how quickly he was up for asking those questions. Was Alice wrong? I faked my smile and tried to answer the question. 'I was thinking photography, art and music... but I don't even know.' I shrugged.

He kept a smile up but still leaned his head and asked, 'What do you want to be after college?' I had some time to think but nothing popped into my head that was specific so I just shrugged.

'I don't really know.' He nodded.

'so why pick them three subjects?' He asked before sipping on his drink, gulping the cold liquid.

'Because they're my hobbies. I love doing each of them and would probably enjoy a job which allowed me to do them.' I said, and after that smiled. I was sure that I would enjoy jobs like that.

'So you wouldn't enjoy looking after joe for the rest of your life then.' He said, putting his drink down and acting serious for the humour.

'No!' I said, and laughed. 'That's not what I meant. I love looking after the kids.' I exclaimed and then thought about it, giggling.

'I mean, I wouldn't do it for the rest of my life.' I corrected myself.

'Why?' he asked, looking a little concerned.

'Because I think he wouldn't need looking after when he's 30.' I said, and then laughed. He realised the mistake in his concern and chuckled along, shaking his head and looking around the room.

'Well done me. I got worried.' He said and chewed on his inside cheek. He moved the glass back to his lips and took another sip, bigger this time.

'I will stay for a while.' I said, reassuring him. I enjoyed this. So far it was only the second proper day and it hasn't even started yet. I loved joe and his cheery humour. He had a special spark in his eyes when he smiled just like Michael did, and I really liked that about them. I wondered if joe's mother had that too.

'What about you?' I finally asked, wanting to continue the conversation that was going well so far.

'What?' he asked, a little puzzled.

'Where do you work at?' I explained further. Suddenly his lips seemed tried, because he licked over then and bit his bottom lip. His eyes started wandering around the room and he was silent for a little while.

'It's not important.' He shrugged it off, and followed that by a smile. It seemed forced.

'It's interesting.' I insisted, genuinely interested. You can't buy a huge house like this without working at all can you?

'It doesn't matter.' He carried on, and I furrowed my eyebrows a little.

'But-' I started, and then a little tired voice groaned and said, 'Daddy...'
Soon joe was visible standing on the massive white stairs, rubbing his eyes.

Michael had put down his glass and was already walking towards him in a second. He picked him up whispering, 'Hey buddy. How did you sleep?' before kissing him on the cheek.

'Good, but I'm still tired.' He whispered in the cutest sleepy voice I've ever heard.

Michael stood with him in the middle of the room for a while, just looking at him and trying to fix his tiny strands of hair a little. He had a huge smile on his face to see his little boy and I could really tell he was a great father. In a way I found that very hot, to be able to hand a child so well and bring him up to be so amazing and kind. Not everyone can do that.

'Poppy Is already here you see.' He said in a little whisper, gently pointing in my direction. 'You overslept a little, didn't you?'

'Poppy!' he said a little louder, yet not fully awake yet. He broke free from Michael and jogged towards me. He hugged me while I greeted him with a big smile on my face. I love this kid already. 'Hey little guy.'

'Can we go upstairs and play hide and seek?' he asked, already a little bit more awake.

'Don't you have to eat something first?' I asked, and then looked at Michael.

'Yeah I have to go in a minute. He doesn't have to eat yet but can you make him like cereal later?' he asked and I nodded.

'You like fruit don't you?' I asked joe and he nodded furiously, before wiping his eyes again. I smiled, 'That's good then.'

Suddenly Michael was running up the stairs. Joe wiggled his way from my grip and clenched onto my hand before dragging me to his room. Michael was already putting his leather jacket on upstairs and checking his hair in the mirror when we reached the top of the stairs.

'Gotta go, bye buddy.' he said to joe while kneeling down and kissing him on the cheek. I looked at him as he stood up and nearly made his way to kiss me too, but remembered at the last second.

'Bye.' He said and I smiled. He ran downstairs and put on his shoes, before we heard the door open and shut behind him.

'I haven't introduced you to all my toys!' said joe excitedly.

'Well haven't you? You've got more?' I asked, putting extra exaggeration into my voice.

'No! Come meet them, they're under the bed in this big box.' he pulled my hand and fell to the floor on his knees.

He started pulling the box but it was bigger than I thought and I had to help him.

A couple hours later, I made his cereal with fruit for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch. Michael said he would be home by the time he needed dinner so I didn't do anything.

He came home about 7-ish and made the dinner, he said I could go home because he had nothing to do and might as well look after joe himself. I didn't mind and didn't find it offensive so I went home.

The night went simply, Alice was at a party that hosted my ex so I couldn't attend. She wouldn't normally either but her boyfriend, Eric, begged her to go and she had no choice. She promised to meet me tomorrow morning to talk about everything that happened today.