The Two Elements

"And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquility in them; and He placed between you love and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought." Surat Al-Rum: 21

You may remember from your early stages of a marriage, particularly in the honeymoon phase, you naturally had higher levels of love, passion, and attraction. Hormones in the first few months are adjusted to make the woman more excitable and confident, while the man more sensitive and compassionate. It's a blessing from Allah that He places such excitement and harmony in a relationship between newlyweds who are still getting to know each other.

We would love for this phase to last, but the fact of the matter is life must go on. While the hormones return to natural levels, spouses return to life's obligations and start their routines. When a marriage is tested with everyday tasks and struggles, Allah places mercy between the two. Instead of holding each other to account for every little thing, help one another out in mutual care and well being. The more compassion you see from one another, there is more love and that passion once again returns.

It is with love and mercy together that we may find tranquility in our spouses. Both are blessings from Allah and from among His signs; so always make dua for them both!