gender (fluff)

the only frerard oneshot in this book; requested by rosesintexas

F R E R A R D

summary: in a world where nobody can tell their sex until they turn eighteen, people are allowed to choose whatever gender they want to identify as.

fem!gee, revenge!frank

Gee loved the planet she lived on. She also loved Frank Iero, the hilarious eyecandy that she was lucky enough to call her boyfriend.

And so here they were, a few hours before midnight which would mark the day of her 18th birthday. Her parents had left the two alone for the night, ordering cake.

Gee giggled as she picked a piece of cake from her slice and shoved it against Frank's parted lips, giggling as some fell from his face. He gasped.

"You know what this means. . ." Frank teasingly trailed off.

"I get a kiss?" Gee pouted out her lips, a small grin plastered on them.

He rolled his eyes but leaned forward, kissing his girlfriend and smearing the icing onto her rosy lips. She laughed against him, their giggles mingling like black and white in an old photograph.

Gee knew what he was doing the longer they kissed. He was trying to distract her.

When you turn eighteen, your sex symbol is printed on your stomach like a tattoo without any tools. Gee was terrified of being told she wasn't the girl she hoped she was. She loved who she was, and knew that she could still identify as a girl even if her sex wasn't one- but would it really feel the same?

Now she could avoid looking at it, but how would you? Showers, swimming, sex- all would reveal your symbol. Even just changing clothes. It was inevitable, and Gee was sweating buckets over it.

"Gee, you're shaking," Frank breathed, mouthing at her jawline before pulling away. She looked down at her hands to see that, in fact, her limbs were trembling. She found her own eyes beginning to water and squeezed them shut, refusing to let herself be weak in front of him.

It's not like she hadn't cried in front of him before- they've been together for almost three years now. He was there for something as simple as a sad chick flick ranging to her grandmother's death.

"Baby what is it? Are you nervous, sweetheart?" He questioned softly, setting a hand on her arm and rubbing soothingly. He used the other to clean their faces off with a napkin, ridding the cake.

She sighed and reached her arm up, taking his hand from her skin and intertwining their fingers instead.

"What if I'm a boy, Frank?"

"Gee, I'd still stay with you regardless of your gender. That shouldn't matter either. While your sex might not be what you want, your gender is still completely your choice. But I wouldn't leave you for something that's out of your control."

"I know, Frankie. It's not that. But the students at school, if they find out about me what would they do? I can't wear crop tops any more if I'm a boy. Or even bikinis." She sniffled and realized she was crying when Frank reached out to wipe her tears.

"You could use that covering thing for pimples to cover it!" Frank offered with a lopsided smile. Gee couldn't help but laugh at how uneducated this boy was when it came to makeup.

"You mean concealer?" She chuckled, nudging at her eyes with the back of her fingers.

"Yeah that. I'll help you. And if that doesn't work and people want to say something, then they'll have to go through me and I'll give them a completely different mark if you know what I mean," Frank squeezed her hand. A grin snuck its way onto her lips. "See? There's that beautiful smile that I first fell in love with."

It went silent.

They hadn't said the 'L' word up until now. Gee snapped her gaze to her boyfriend's face who was now beet red, lips formed in a tight line.

"Frankie. . . you. . . y-you love me?" She whispered, shocked that she was even lucky enough to repeat the words.

He sheepishly itched the back of his neck, using his other hand to reassuringly rub his thumb across the top of her hand. "I'm sorry if that was too fast. . . it slipped out, but. . . yeah, Gee. I love you. Hell, I'm in love with you. And your identity will not change that, do you understand me?"

She opened her mouth to respond when suddenly the alarm buzzed, and she jumped to see it was 12:00.

Midnight.

She instantly looked back to run her eyes over her boyfriend's face. He picked up her hand and pressed a kiss to her knuckles, standing up off the bed and pulling her with him. They walked to the mirror together and he let go only to wrap his arms around her from behind, giving Gee a perfect view of herself in the mirror.

"We'll do this together, okay?" Frank murmured into her ear. She shivered, nodding nervously. Anxiety filled her head to toe and she placed her hands on top of his, and together they slowly began lifting up her shirt.

And there it was.

And there was the tears right after.

Frank turned her around and swooped her into his arms, hugging her tightly.

She was a boy. The symbol.

♂.

She sobbed into his shirt, refusing to open her eyes in fear of seeing the sign taunting her.

Frank calmly shushed her, rubbing her back and holding her tightly as she cried.

"You're still my girl," he told her. "You're still my princess."

She pulled back and he kissed her forehead, getting onto his knees and lifting up her shirt very slowly. She shifted away at first, trying to yank down her top at first, but he looked up at her with such a loving look that she couldn't resist.

She let her hands go to his hair, placing her palms on his head and petting softly. She always loved his hair.

He lifted up her shirt just below her chest, leaning forward and pressing the most gentle of kisses onto her tummy, right on the symbol. "I still love you," he murmured against her skin, then kissed again, "my precious babygirl," another kiss. "My little sweetheart," and one last kiss. "My everything."

He pulled away and stood back up, nudging their heads together and petting her long, red hair.

She looked up at him and shakily exhaled, kissing him passionately before staring deep into his eyes.

"Hey Frankie?"

"Yeah, Gee?"

"I'm in love with you too."

Frank smiled, then kissed her, and suddenly Gee didn't hate that little symbol on her stomach so much any more.