XV

I could hear the smirk in his tone.

Somehow I mustered up enough courage to face him, my face flushing uncontrollably as I smiled up at him. "I've been waiting for you."

He gave me a dazzling smile in return. I thought I was dreaming as my hands rested comfortably on his arms. "I know I'm tipsy and I'll probably regret this," Luke's hands trailed down to my hips. "But you've been driving me crazy all night long."

My eyes widened in disbelief. "I've been driving Eli crazy too. He hates that you're constantly on my mind."

"Yeah, we'll definitely regret this tomorrow," he whispered, leaning his forehead against mine. "You have no filter, Chloe."

"Neither do you," I giggled. "You told me I'm beautiful multiple times tonight."

"I'm tipsy; that'll be my excuse tomorrow. But just between us?" He whispered as he smirked down at me, making my knees feel so weak, I thought they would give out on me this time. "You're the most beautiful person I've seen in my life. Inside and out. You're kind, compassionate, funny, and you put up with my bullshit all the time. Anybody else would've already told me to fuck off, but you always come back to me." Lucas wrapped his arms around me as my hands connected behind his neck. This felt good. Natural. As if we were always supposed to do exactly this.

"You don't need an excuse," I assured him, shaking my head childishly. "You look really hot. At least I secretly think that."

"Care to elaborate?" Luke pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, eyeing me up and down. I noticed how warm his hands felt, how intoxicating his scent was, and any doubts I had about this vanished into thin air.

"First off, you have lips to die for..." I slurred, a painful reminder that I was totally out of it.

"Mhm..." He murmured in a low, comforting voice, closing his eyes for a moment, before gazing deeply into mine.

"You have heavenly eyes and I've wanted to run my fingers through your hair since the day I met you.
I stare at you all the time. It's embarrassing." When would I stop exposing myself for the lunatic that I obviously was? My mouth just wouldn't stop talking. For some reason, it felt like I was a lot more drunk than he was, because I was saying things to him out loud that I refused to even admit to myself usually.

"I know the feeling." He admitted.

"You make my knees weak. Always. Even right now. Friends aren't supposed to look at friends the way you look at me." I mumbled, almost in a defeated tone. As if I knew that while I could acknowledge he wasn't supposed to look at me like that, nothing would come of it.

"You're exactly right," Lucas took my hand into his, kissing my palm before placing it against his chest, urging me to feel his erratic heartbeat. "This is what you do to me. Always. It shouldn't be happening, and I think we both know that."

My eyes darted to his, longing to feel him closer to me. I had completely drowned out the music already.
"I agree. This is wrong," I whispered, but neither of us believed that for even a second. At least I knew for a fact I didn't. The only thing I could focus on was Luke's heartbeat, his lips, and his eyes staring right back into mine. Our bodies stopped swaying for a moment, and a shiver ran down my spine. I completely lost control of myself when Lucas leaned in and kissed me.