Chapter 20

You were speechless. What could you possibly say? You felt your body voluntarily prepare to run. Dark saw this motion and chuckled, "Don't try to run. I have a hold of you now." "W-what?" you somehow managed to say out loud. Dark did say anything, as if he were waiting for your reaction. Instead, he made a quick eye movement that gestured to your lower half of your body. Slowly, you looked down to your legs and you yelped. Slightly visible, black tendrils were slithering and writhing as they intertwined around your legs. You looked up to see that Dark was closer to you. Somehow, you managed to take a step back and ask, "W-what are these things?" Dark's smile was soft, "It would take too long for me to explain right now, my friend." You tried to gulp your fear down before you took another step backwards. In response, Dark takes another step, about twice as big as yours. "Please, what do you even want from me?" You ask, feeling the tendrils slowly climbing up your body. "You already know the answer, dear y/n" Dark says in a hypnotic way. You make yours eyes look away from the towering Dark to help you remember. "You mean... that I have a dark side that wants to be let out?" You say as the memory, of that one dream, popped into your head. Dark nodded, "That would be the one, kiddo." "I don't know exactly what you mean by that though," you say when he takes another step towards you, letting hardly any space separate you two. It was also at this point where you felt a little funny, as if you hadn't slept for three days. "Would you like me to explain all of this?" He says as you start to get light headed. You look up at him, still afraid, and nodded. Dark looked down at you with a warm smile and a flash of joy in his eyes. Swiftly, he gets behind you and gently, but firmly, takes hold of your shoulders. You ekk at his speed before the hallway disappears. In this empty but comfortable place, you become aware that Dark is behind you, supporting your weight, and all of the urges to struggle were gone. "Alright, where should I begin?" Dark asks you in a calm voice. Thinking nothing of it, you respond, "What were those tendrils?" You hear Dark give off a small chuckle before speaking. "Before I tell you that, I have to explain some other things first. Can you handle that?" You nod to his question. You then felt the air shift around the two of you. "This will be long so please bare with me." He took a soft, quiet, deep breath before he began to explain. " You already know of illness that you have, the kind that unlocks unused parts of your brain? Well, that just means that the brain is more than capable of receiving, how should I put this, magic." You sent off a confused feeling, which Dark seemed to pick up. "This magic is not like one that you can use for 'magic tricks'. It is basically, power, that drifts through time and space endlessly. Since most people are not like us, they can't pick it up. Think about it as if we are special radios that can pick up a music channel that no one has ever heard of. However, this magic does not give you the ability to do everything that comes into mind. Instead, the magic caters to the receivers strongest desire for power." You shot another questioning thought out into the space around you. Dark took in another deep breath. "Our illness also causes us to crave power that no other human can have. Anyway, as you can probably tell, the kind of power that I desire is that of mind control and manipulation." It was at that moment that you registered exactly where you were. You were still in the hallway, only, you were under a hypnotic suggestion, induced by Dark. No wonder your desire to struggle wasn't present before. Now, the fear was starting to come back. You hear Dark give off a little grunt, "I guess you want to come to before I explain more." You nodded and found yourself in the hall, just outside your room. Dark took his hands off your shoulders and walked in front of you. Though you were awake, you still felt the tendrils holding you. "As I was saying, I, personally, want control over a person's mind, as well as to be able to influence their actions," he continued, "Now, you're wondering how that has anything to do with my tendrils?" "Uh.. yes" you say, wondering why he would ask you that if he could already read your mind. He chuckled, "Just think of it as they are a puppet's strings and that I am the puppeteer." As a chill crawled down your back, you took a step back, knowing that his "puppet strings" were practically covering you as you two spoke. Then another thought struck you: since I had the illness, what kind of "power" do I want, deep down inside? You saw another smile form on Dark's face as he spoke, "If the appropriate title for me is The Puppeteer, then the appropriate title for you would be," he paused casually for dramatic effect, "The Angel of Death."