Chapter Twelve

I stood there in awe. In shock. In the most 'what the fuck' face I had.

I saw Vik wave his hand at me and I hurried over to the passenger seat. Opening the door, I sat down on the seat and sighed. "Hi.."

Dammit Juliet, why the hell are you so nervous?

"Hey. So uh," Vik started to pull out of the driveway and I buckled my seatbelt, "What's the first thing you do with the whole renovation thing?"

I scratched my head and looked out the window.

"Well, I'd say start with the basics. The paint."

"Why would we start with the paint?"

I felt a stare on me as I said, "Start with the paint because that way new furniture doesn't get stained nor look awkward."

I looked at Vik and caught a glimpse of him nodding. He made a swift turn and I couldn't help myself from asking him where we were going. "Walmart, obviously. We need to buy paint, remember?" I formed my lips into the shape of an 'o' and nodded.

Way to come off as a complete idiot, Juliet.

I didn't know what I was doing or what the end of today would look like. I was afraid. More than afraid. Terrified. Overwhelmed. Frightened. Vik was my new boss as well as Aramini's dad. The only problem was how to break it to him. Would he even remember that he and I had a connection that one night? Would he even accept Aramini as his child? Worthless and heart wrenching thoughts filled my mind.

I felt lost. My palms were beginning to sweat and I could feel my body temperature dropping. Something that often happens when I'm nervous, stressed, or sad. I felt like crying. I felt... Weak.

I had no clue as to how this happened. I was once a strong woman. Independent, tough and what not. However, ever since Vik walked back in with Mia, the whole world began to fall down on me. I couldn't handle it. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to grab Vik and kiss him right there and then, claiming his as my own right in front of Mia.

It wasn't like me. Not in the least bit.

My thoughts were disrupted by Vik's voice saying my name over and over and over again.

"Juliet. Juliet. We're here. Juliet? Juliet. Juliet. Juliet!"

I shook my head from side to side and looked up at him. He stared into my eyes and his eyebrows furrowed. His eyes lowered to my cheeks ever so slightly. Vik reached out with his hand and I could feel myself stiffen. I shut my eyes tightly.

...

There was an awkward silence. I felt a warm finger on my cheeks brushing from one side to the other. Slowly opening my eyes, I looked up at Vik.

"You started crying."

Was all he said. My eyes went wide as I tried averting my gaze from him and turning my head away. I didn't want Vik to see me cry. I didn't need him to. I smiled softly and tried to cover for my mistake of crying.

"Oh! Aha, I didn't realize. Um. Can we go into Walmart now?"

He raised an eyebrow as he looked at me and sighed. Vik nodded. I quickly opened the door and stepped out of the car. I needed to breathe. I felt suffocated. Suffocated by my own thoughts.

It's okay. It's going to be okay.

I kept repeating one line in my mind until I was able to get a hold of myself. I looked over at Vik leaning on the car's door staring at me. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled.