Chapter 21: Awkward Turtle

I had taken a seat in the principal’s office. Out of boredom, my eyes wonder the dull room before settling on the headmaster’s plaque. For a while, I entertain myself by stretching my forehead in the reflective metal.

The lady at the front desk had kindly informed me of my our principles, Mr Higgins absence who had taken a day as emergency annual leave. Instead I would have to wait until the vice principle had finished her current lesson leaving me restless.

Sighing, I begin to shake my leg. I tut and look down in distaste when a sharp pain radiates through my sole.

Now, I could have done the logical thing and undone my shoe and shook out the object which was currently trying to impale me. But no, I was lazy and I couldn’t even be bothered to lift my leg and try and shake it out. Instead, I tipped my head back in the black chair and stared up at the discoloured ceiling.

After humming a couple of tunes and tapping my fingers against the desk, I sat up and decided to scan the top of the principles desk.

To call it a mess would be an understatement. Let's just say, data protection rules are clearly bot followed by Mr Higgins. One form in particular caught my interest. In bold writing across the front it read, 'Crystal High Annual Fitness Run'.

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I am pleased to announce that by popular demand, we will be continuing the annual run this year-

Frowning, I quickly skim through the remaining 2 paragraphs, my eyes widening at the possibility of a race. If this concern form is legit then every student will have the opportunity to participating in a run. Each student is given a map to follow. A majority of the route are the same, however, it is down the individuals to shoe stamina and strength in completing the course in good time. 

A creepy smile begins to spread across my lips as the thoughts of challenging a certain someone cross my mind.  Looking at my stretched out legs, I tell them. “We will show him, leggsy eleven, he will eat our dirt. You know what this means, right? This means victory! We will win this fair and square.”

Wrapped up in my thoughts of winning, I fail to hear the door being opened. Fist raised high in the air within its victory pose, I jump when someone clears their throat.

I slowly bring my arm down as I turn to look at the intruder.

“You!" I shout happy, my index finger jabs through the air. "You have just messed with Mike Tyson buddy, you are going down! Did you know there is a race in a couple of weeks? Are you ready to feel ashamed of your turtle feet? Wait a second. What are you even doing in here?”

Seemingly amused at my short-lived happiness, Kyle snorts at me before making his way towards the chair opposite mine. I watch in silence as he makes himself comfortable in the principles chair.

At my silence, he raises an eyebrow before clapping his hands atop a stack of papers. Looking like the mastermind of some evil plan, he announces, 
“Miss Matthews I have come to save you. What happened today was partly my fault- yes, the race happens every year. Quite boring, actually.” 

I waved off his statement with a flap of my hand, to busy focused on the latter words. “A race? What kind of race, do I have to run? I don’t like running, saying that I don’t like any from or exercise. Is picking up a biscuit arm stretching? I think it should be. Anyway, go into more detail.”

Kyle sighed before leaning back, obviously deflated that his ‘knight in shining armour’ act had not gotten as much attention as he liked. “It’s just a fitness test, where some people do it on the treadmill in a controlled atmosphere, as a school we do it outside for the day. Keeps the student’s happy by not doing any classes and the headmaster gets the school recognition, simple.” He shrugged and I smiled wickedly.