Burning With Revenge (11)

It was all too much for me, I thought I was ready to go back to that place but I guess I wasn't. I thought I'd grown tougher both physically and mentally, yet I was crumbling to pieces as tears slid down my face. It's funny how a burnt out building can bring back so many memories.

My legs had subconsciously carried me to the local park near my house and I now sat on a bench watching life go on around me as my life grew cold, hopeless and meaningless. I'd been transformed into a killing machine; that's all my life was now. I had no purpose, nothing to truly live for.

Well, there was one thing I could do.

I could hunt down the person who killed my parents and kill them as revenge. Hate burned within my veins as I thought of the heartless animal who brutally murdered my parents for no reason. Who could do such a thing? Well, that's a stupid question for someone like me to ask; I kill people as a part of my job. Taking a life was easy.

But my parents didn't deserve to die, and that's why I need to hunt that damn murderer down.

I took the lighter out off my pocket and spun it around in the palm of my hand, examining it closely. It seemed a tad unprofessional to me, that an arsonist would use a lighter to burn my house to the ground. Surely a professional would use petrol and matches; spreading the petrol around the house before throwing a match on it.

But then again, all you'd need to do with a lighter is hold it to a curtain and then let it spread. That seems unlikely though. I would have thought that a murderer would want to leave the victims no chance of escape, therefore the petrol and matches are the best choice. The fire would have spread in less than a second.

Whoever set fire to my house can't have been that skilled, especially as they left the evidence behind. Unless they used a lighter so that they didn't look like a professional! A lighter is likely to have been used by a rowdy group of teenagers; an easy target to pin the blame on! Oh, the person who set my house on fire is sneaky...

I heard footsteps suddenly approaching from behind which put my mind on red alert. It seemed unnatural that these footsteps were walking slowly, as if the person was trying to sneak up on me. Once the person was in reaching distance I spun around and punched them in the stomach as a natural instinct.

I looked down to see Hunter doubled over in pain, holding his stomach like the big wimp he is. I rolled my eyes.

"Grow some balls," I growled before marching off in the opposite direction. Why was he always following me? Don't I have the right to some time on my own? Gosh he's a prick!

I kicked a empty can in annoyance as I sped towards the park gate.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Hunter called after me.

"Home," I whispered before running back to that hideous crime scene. I needed to find more evidence. I need to get my revenge.

 ***

I drew in a deep breath as I entered through the empty door frame, breathing in that weird burnt-ashy smell. It struck me as weird that they hadn't knocked this place down yet. They've had plenty of time to demolish and rebuild it. Maybe the police were actually trying to find the culprit and that's why they'd left the crime scene untouched?

Psshh, what am I thinking? The lazy-ass cops won't be doing any criminal hunting! They're too busy sipping coffee and stuffing doughnuts into their already obese bodies. Criminal hunting is too much effort for them, looks like I'm working on my own.

"Leah?"

"SH!T!" I turned to see Hunter behind me, standing in the doorway with his hands shoved in his pockets. He looked as if he didn't want to be here. "YOU FRIGHTENED THE LIFE OUT OF ME YOU IDIOT!" I yelled at him.