Chapter 14 | Feel like a Rebel | Part 2

Start from the beginning

I shrugged. "I have a brother with a million tattoos. I'm used to seeing them."

He quirked his eyebrow. "Would you ever get one?"

I paused. I never thought of that: getting a tattoo. "Maybe. If I had something valuable enough to scar my body with, maybe. If not, I probably won't."

"You're not scarring your body. You're making a mark. You're making a statement."

"True," I nodded, agreeing with him. "But what would I get a tattoo of? There's no statement I want to make."

He didn't waver. "Everyone has something they want to say. I'm sure you have something you want to say, too."

Before I could respond, our food came in. Quickly setting the food on our table, the waiter asked us if we wanted more, to which we replied "no," before he went away.

I grinned up at Vince, just as we both took a bite out of our dishes.

"You know," Vince started, just as he finished his bite. "This is my first time at a Lebanese place."

I chewed my bread, shrugging. "It's good to try new things."

He grinned back. For a few minutes, we simply ate in a comfortable silence.

I glanced around the restaurant, trying to find familiar faces. The place wasn't very full; a few people came to lunch from work and had a table to themselves, a couple teenagers scattered, a family sat in the opposite corner. Right before I gave up my search, I found a set of eyes twinkling at me, happiness gleaming in them.

Deborah sat with her granddaughter across the restaurant from Vince and me, clearly ecstatic that he and I were out together.

Once she realized I had recognized her, she gleefully winked and waved, before turning her back to me, trying to keep me more invested on my date with Vince than her.

Oh my Lord. I would not be hearing the end of this at the library.

"Anyway," I cleared my throat, moving my mind back to Vince. "What's your favorite thing to do during the summer?"

"Well, most summers it would have been to go surfing," Vince's electric hazel eyes met mine, his lips up in a smirk. "But this summer, my favorite thing to do is to be with you."

I had to look away, my cheeks flushing again. "We've only been together a couple of times, Vince."

"That's more than enough to like being around you, Zoe."

A smile tugged at my lips, but never went up to my eyes. A question that had been wandering around in my mind finally slipped out. "Why me, though? Why are you interested in me?"

As cliché as it was, it was a question I was avoiding thinking about, let alone asking. It was a valid question, though. Vince, the Beast of Oakland High, had randomly and suddenly taken an interest in me. Why?

"Because," Vince started, gazing his piercing hazel eyes into mine. "You're special, Zoe."

"Special?" I shook my head, not understanding. "You do know what special means, right?"

"Of course. Besides," The corner of his lip curved up. "you've got a cute butt."

I let out a breath of air, my smile finally reaching my eyes. Glancing up at his handsome face, I dared to take my confidence a step further. "You've got a rather attractive posterior, yourself."

Vince let out a beautiful, glorious laugh that sounded like utter happiness in my ears before smiling at me, his teeth gleaming in the sunlight as he acknowledged my bravery. "Thanks."

And just like that, Vince and I went on talking for another two hours, until I decided it was time to go home. Zach could be home at any time, and I thought it would be better to get there before him.

"I can pay," I offered, as the waiter dropped off the bill to our table.

"No way," Vince jeered. "Haven't you heard of how rich I am? I've got to blow my money someway, don't I?"

I let out a giggle before pushing the bill closer to him. "Of course. You're Hugh Mascars' nephew, aren't you?" I asked rhetorically, referring to the popular state politician who shared the same unusual last name as Vince.

"Distant relative." Vince quickly corrected, slipping in a couple twenties into the bill holder.

While we stood and left, I glanced back over to where Deb had been sitting before, only to find that area empty. And as we left, Daphne smiled only at me.

Within minutes, Vince's car was parked on the curb outside my house, both of us sitting inside.

"I had fun today," I smiled at him. Today was very mellow and easygoing, which was nice. It was good to know that Vince had a casual side to him.

"Me too."

"Mommy!"

Vince and I both whipped our heads to the house beside mine, where my six-year-old neighbor, Elijah, cried, banging his little hands against the front door.     

AN// I haven't been on a date in so long, I kind of forgot how they go. I hope this wasn't too shitty. #HopefullyIWon'tDieAlone

EDITED ON Jule 23rd, 2020****

As always, please vote and comment if you think this deserves it! :)  //