Chapter 11 | CCPC | Part 2

Name: Vincenzo Aquila Mascars

Library Card Number: 287********

Overdue Fees: none

Age: 17

Birthday: December 28

I raised my eyebrows. Vince was almost two years older than me -- I was born on January 12th, two years after the year he was born. Scrolling further down, I stopped where his phone number was displayed.

"Jared," I said. "Do you mind calling him? I'll talk, but I can't call him because I left my phone at home."

And because if Zach sees his name on my phone he'll freak out.

Jared turned his attention away from a suspicious janitor who was cleaning in the corner to me. "You want me to call?"

"Yes, please."

"Sure," Jared spoke sarcastically as he typed in Vince's number. "Why the hell not? I mean Derek's definitely going to fall for Savannah and we'll all be in happy land."

The second he clicked the call button on speaker and handed the phone to me, Savannah crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at him. "Do you think I'm not good enough to fall for?"

Jared's eyes widened. "Oh, no, I never said that. I just don't think you're Derek's type of person to fall in love with. Lot's of people fall for you, Savannah -- you just don't realize it."

"I'm not Derek's 'type of person to fall in love with'? Excuse me?"

"No, you don't..."

I tuned them out, focusing more on the rings coming on the phone. I was calling Vince Mascars. Vince Mascars.

I really needed to stop saying his full name in my head. I was calling Vince. Just Vince.

"Hello?" A deep, masculine voice spoke from the other side.

Shutting my eyes, I immediately regretting my decision to call him. His voice sounded heavier -- deeper, if that was even possible -- than usual. Gosh, if Vince and I were on closer terms I could've just texted him rather than stressing out about how sexy his voice sounded like on the phone.

"Hello?" He repeated, again. By this point, Savannah and Jared both stared at me, waiting for me to say something more.

"H-hi." I replied. "It's Zoe."

"Oh, hey, Zoe." His words melted one after another, smoothly like butter. "What's up? You want to go on our date earlier than Thursday?"

Zoe.

Savannah nudged me, mouthing "Another date?"

I coughed, slightly and breathed out a breath before I replied again. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something kind of weird."

"Shoot me."

"Um..." I coughed. "Do you think you can possibly set your friend Derek up with someone?"

"Derek?" Vince's voice came out surprised. "Derek Carter? Who would he be with?"

"Just a friend of mine." I ran my fingers up and down the catalog computer's keyboard in nervousness. "She's sort of into Derek, and I was wondering if you could find out if he'd be willing to go out with her."

"I'm sure I can figure something out. Who's your friend?"

"Savannah. Savannah Evans."

"Gotcha. Well, I'll talk to Derek about it and let you know what he says."

"Oh, perfect." I took a deep breath. "Gosh, thank you so much."

"No problem." There was a smile in his voice. "I'll see you Thursday."

"Oh, actually, Vince?" I bit my lip. "Can we push our date to be earlier than Thursday?"

He chuckled. "Sure. When?"

"Tomorrow?"

I could practically see his grin on the other side of the line. "I'll see you tomorrow then, Zoe."

"Bye." A smile crept up to my face.

Ending the call, I set the phone down and set my the side of my head against the catalog desk, my nervousness pouring out. Zach wouldn't kill me now. Just as long as Derek agreed, Savannah and Derek could go out for a week and then break up. I wouldn't be dead. Zach would trust me again. Everything would go back to normal.

"What the fuck was that?" Jared shot me the most incredulous expression he'd ever made. "Do you always talk to him like that?"

"Like what?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Like a chicken was stuck in your throat?"

I rolled my eyes. 

Author's Note    

As always, if you think this deserves it, please give it a vote or comment! They're always appreciated. Like it? Hate it? Why?:)

Edited: May 20, 2018