Chapter Thirty-Three - Finding Malik (Sort Of)

Start from the beginning

     "Um, they can't hear us anymore, Laina," Buggy points out. "You don't have to whisper."

     "Fine," Laina says in defeat. "Thanks for the breakfast, but I think we should go and follow where Blond Beard and Dean are going. With any luck, they'll take us to somewhere vitally important."

     The girls exit the room and quickly get to the desk. Buggy waits outside, keeping an eye out for the men, as Laina checks out of the room. "Where are they going?" she asks as soon as she joins Buggy. After being shown the direction, she adds, "Great, let's go."

     Feeling like she's in an old spy movie, Buggy grudgingly follows her partner while Blond Beard and Dean are far enough to not get noticed, and near enough to keep track of. Several times they've had to dodge a couple of people giving the girls odd looks. Whenever that's happened, Buggy would unconsciously look down to make sure she doesn't look like a fright.

     It feels like they've been stalking for a mile or two, and already Buggy wants to quit with the following. "You can't just hang around here," Laina says when Buggy lags behind a bit. "I think we're getting close to the destination."

     "If we find out the location's a city away, I'm not going to be happy," Buggy swears.

     "Duly noted." The sarcasm is heavy on Laina's tone of voice. "They've turned left here at the end of the street," she adds, pushing Buggy towards the direction.

     Another mile or so later, Buggy and Laina realize they're getting too close to the men. Blond Beard and Dean open one of the ground-floor doors in what looks like an apartment building, and they go inside oh so casually. To Buggy's satisfaction, there's no sign of a secret handshake or anything like that. The area's most likely something one of the criminals rented out for their stay.

     Laina takes a step further. Buggy grabs her arm. "Don't we need something we can use to defend ourselves?" she asks.

     "Like what? A shoe?" the girl challenges. "We need to get inside and find Malik. We can worry about our safety later." She gets her arm back and takes up the walking again. With nothing else she can do, Buggy hurries and walks beside Laina.

     "I swear you're a pain in the ass," Buggy says.

     Laina just dismisses her with a wave of a hand. She grabs the doorknob and twists, finding it locked. "What's with these guys and locked doors?"

     "It's probably a theory, but I think they want to keep people like us out," Buggy says.

     "Shut up, and tell me you have some bobby pins on your person."

     "Which do you want me to do? Shut up, or tell you?" 

     Laina growls. Buggy would have, too, but doubts it'd help the situation. She pulls out a pin from her jeans pocket and hands it over to the girl, who twists it around to make it usable for lock-picking. The door unlocks easily, and both the girls head inside quietly.

     At first they don't hear anything. The hallway lights are very dim, dim enough for Laina to get her phone for the flashlight app. The only rooms are at the two halls at the end of the hall Laina and Buggy are at. They get there, and after a round of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors', and Laina winning, they head to the left.

     Now they can hear something coming from the other side of the door in front of them. The sounds are muffled, but it sounds different than Blond Beard and Dean. Laina and Buggy look at each other, making gestures for the other to open the door first. 

     "Come on, Buck!" Dean's voice shouts over the muffled noises. "Stick to the damn plan, will you!"

     "Give me a second!" Blond Beard answers, clearly angry. "Unlike you, I make sure we get the things we need for the Needle!"

     "At least I don't take a fucking hour to get them!" Dean says. "Now get the stuff, put them in a bag, and help me carry this dead weight." A muffled protest follows.

     Buggy taps on Laina's shoulder. "Don't you think we should--?" she asks.

     Shaking her head, the girl says, "I doubt it'd go well for us." They look back at the door one more time before they walk out of the hallway, and exit the building. 

     The girls get far enough to see a van drive out and park by the sidewalk. Dean jumps out and opens the doors for the victim. He heads back inside, and minutes later come back out with Blond Beard. They haul something in a body-length trash bag, and they put it in the back of the vehicle. They both get in, and the van drives away.

     Buggy looks at the time on her phone. "We should hurry," she says. "If I remember the time correctly, the CEO's coming to Seattle in a half hour."

     "Great," Laina says. "We need a way to get to the Space Needle fast."

     Buggy glances around. Something catches her eye, and she knows she'll suffer an enormous amount of pain much later. "Would bicycles work?" she suggests.