Chapter 10

ALAYNA

The awkwardness is undeniably in the air. The world seems to take its time spinning, and everything seems to be in slow motion.

I clear my throat. I want to ask him why he asked me to have dinner with him. He doesn't socialize with other people, but he can actually eat with someone comfortably. That is something to wonder. This might be the first time he shared tables with somebody.

"Stop staring."

"Oh, I'm sorry." I look away quickly. "But if you don't mind me asking—"

"I was also wondering why you still haven't." He continues to eat delightfully. 

I can't help but notice how gorgeous he is, even if it's only half of his face. It's just too bad, he's wearing a mask. I search for any mark of scar that might have slipped out a little, but I see nothing. Maybe he has hidden it faultlessly. Or perhaps not. I'm not even sure if he really had a scar there.

"I told you to stop staring."

"I was wondering why you asked me to eat with you," I say swiftly, then close my eyes.

"Why do you ask?" he asks.

"It's just... You don't go outside your room and never meet with other people, but you can comfortably eat with someone."

He laughs as if I just said something hilarious. "I'm not sure if it's funny or insulting that you're like describing a life of a beast," he comments with chuckles in between his chew. "To feed your curiosity, I eat with Oliver every single night, Miss Hart."

"Of course. How thoughtless of me. I'm really sorry, Mr. Lucien—I mean, Master. It's really hard to call you Master."

"You can call me whatever you like."

I'm slightly stunned at his reaction and is surprisingly calm about it. "Thank you, but I'd rather call you, Master. Madam Lennie might hear me calling you whatever I like."

"The dinner was great." He puts down his empty plate and wipes his mouth with a napkin. "Thank you, Miss Hart."

I smile. "You're welcome. So..." I clear my throat. "If you need something you can just call me. I'm done with mine as well, so I finally stand and starts clearing the table.

"You're leaving?" he asked, sounded confused.

"Yes, thank you for letting me share the meal with you, and I'm sorry again about your mom and sister."

He nods and springs up as well as walks to the couch, and continues reading to the page where he left off.

Lying on my back that night, I stare at the ceiling of my room feeling delightful. Deep inside, I know and I feel that the Master has a good and generous heart, but he makes me think about him too much at the same time.

I roll to my side, resting my head on my arm. I still have too many questions unanswered about him. What is he hiding beneath the mask? Are there scars? Did someone hurt him? How did his family die?

I exhale in frustration. It's not that I even care. I've only known him for a very short time. I barely talked to him, but he is kind to me. I finally doze off, picturing the Master taking his mask off as the lights dim.

BRANDON

This time, I know I'm close to finding one of the persons who can be the reason for my family's death. Finding those murderers has become my life's purpose. They ruined my life enough.

Annette Teller; my father's fucking mistress.

Oliver and I have been looking for her in almost a decade, and this very intriguing chef is bearing the information in her hands.

For some reason, this Alayna Hart has triggered something in me—something inexplicable. I'm very meticulous with the food I consume; as it is one of the few things that can bring me joy in this very boring life, Oliver knows how I don't eat something my tongue would despise. But Alayna makes every meal special, despite not following the rules about improvising. Her little handwritten notes I admit are entertaining.

Strangely, the person who can bring delight in my meals is also the person who could end my agony. I craved and longed for justice in this life, and I'm finally close to that reality. That way, I may finally get my redemption.

Ten years ago, I was there when they died. I saw Elga's lifeless, ruined body with my own eyes and how my mother cried for my name with her last breath, but I couldn't do anything. I was too weak to even save myself. I was just a guy who only knew how to fuck his life—someone who only lived for himself, and left his family in darkness.

I can never bring them back, but I should at least give them the justice they deserved.