Chapter 6

ALAYNA

"I heard what you did," Oliver says casually, the next morning I'm preparing the Master's breakfast. He's not in his usual chef uniform, but his gym clothes. He steps into my kitchen.

I instantly feel apologetic about him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take your position."

"Nah. I should be thanking you. You've proven you can do the job alone, and you're saving me after all." He slides his hands in his pocket, smiling. "You've given me more time to focus on other important things."

"Um... I asked him to come out." I shrug.

His eyebrows knit together. "Yeah? How did it go?" He leans on the sink.

I sigh. "I didn't mean to ask him to come out immediately; I just got carried away in the situation and I remembered what you said. Besides, I can't think of any way to make him come out unless there's a valid reason. And I'm sure you know the reason."

"Hmm." He crosses his arms and scratches his chin. "Yes, I did."

"And why has no one told me the real reason why I'm here?" I ask nicely, although I'm sure all the decisions are up to his cousin.

"Okay, if you feel like I've hidden this to you, I'm sorry, but we can't afford you to leave."

"I'm not going to leave. I need this job." I look up at him. "But another reason why I wanted to see him is because the information he wants is confidential. It's more on the trust side. I need to know if I can trust him."

He listens to me intently and nods. "I understand. You are entitled to your own rights."

"Though I have to apologize. I was pretty reckless back there. If I could turn back time, I wouldn't be that insensitive. But when I was talking to him in that room, it was strange. How did he live like this all this time?"

"I know, but it's been difficult, Alayna. It was his choice."

"I'd be lying if I tell you that I didn't want to know his reasons. It's not my place to meddle with your business, but somehow I just did," I say with guilt. I stare back at the spices I'm mixing earlier and pick up the ladle.

"Let's just say your way is a bit different, but this is why I think you are the most capable person who can help him. He will tell you about the thing he needs from you anyway, even if not for the little accident. But did you really see him?"

I shake my head. "No, at least not his face."

"Nice timing," Oliver continues with such a teasing voice.

I flush. "What really bugs me right now was my proposition. I asked him to come out! I didn't know where I got all the nerve to demand that."

"You're torturing yourself." Oliver moves in front of me and holds my shoulders. "Calm down. He might be, you know, weird, but he's a good man. He's considerate. He even let you stay, remember?"

"Because he needs something," I answer, then roll my eyes. "I'm not this kind of person."

"I know. You don't have to worry about that. You must've forgotten that I'm still here to help you. So what's on his menu today? I don't always memorize everything," he asks.

"I prepared a courgette and Kostopoulos lemon."

"Well, I will bring this to him now."

"Wait!" I halt and spill the additional spices I made for the chicken. Oliver then picks up the plates and places them on the food trolley.

***