Chapter 5

I woke up in a strange room. It was a bedroom with blue walls and a lot of girly things. Drawers and a desk with makeup and a very advanced version of a laptop with holograms.  There was a giant stuffed bear on the ground and girl clothes down there as well. The bed I was on didn't have any blood on it, I must of just fainted. I made it over the fence.

     The way our government works is that there's a divide with the rich, the poor, and the Unfortunate. I'm with the Unfortunates, who live in Dawnlight Oregon. The poor live in Arizona and the rich live in LA. Los Angeles got pushed up near the borer of the Unfortunates. due to radioactive activity. And same with Arizona. The some Unfortunates are used by the government. They call them "experiments" because they use them I'm guessing, I'm not quite sure. The rich are their puppets and they're eating out of their hands and the poor are trying to rebel. Lucky for me my friends are Unfortunates and we don't have to deal with too much. Our leader is President Amos. The wall that separates us isn't there to separate us. I got through easy, it's there as a reminder that, if you do there's no point, rich, poor, unfortunate, we all hate each other.

After years of living here I still don't understand why we're the Unfortunates. We're as poor as the poor class and we have to hunt and get our own food like them too. I still haven't exactly figured out why, but I will.

      I heard steps coming up stairs. I quickly pretended to be asleep. A person walked over to the bed and shook me "awake." I pretended to wake up and once I opened my eyes I saw a girl looking down at me. She had long black/brown hair and tan skin. Her eyes were brown with waves in them and she had big defined dimples in her cheeks. She was wearing a very clean rich looking outfit.

"Glad you're alive. I was starting to worry," the girl said to me.

I started to freak out and panic. She was one of the rich people I'm suppose to stay away from. "Get away from me! I'll kill you if I have to!"

"Chill out!" she yelled pushing me back down. "I'm helping you, I saved your life."

I thought about the last thing I saw, being dragged, Jax getting kidnapped. It all is coming together. Andy is off getting supplies, Jax could be dead, and I'm with a Rich Dog.

I got up to were I was sitting on the bed. "Who are you?"

"I'm Clover Crist, who are you?" she answered

"Marcus Brewer.....Where am I?"

"My house. I found you laying in the grass unconscious so I brought you here."

"Thank you." I said politely. " I got to get back to my home."

"You might want to think about that," she said pulling the blinds off her window.

     I looked out said and saw a lot of soldiers standing outside of a wall. They all had guns and giant tanks. I saw them executing people one by one and taking others hostage.

"Don't worry they won't come here, this is the rich side."

"Why are you helping me, I'm an Unfortunate."

"No you're not just an unfortunate, you're an experiment."

"How? I thought you have some requirement to be one? And how "

She started to pack a bag and then she looked up. "Who says you don't have that?"

"How do you know all this?"

"My dad, he works for the government." she grabbed my hand, "can you trust me and shut up for a minute?"

"Why? Can you just-." She put her hand over my mouth and nodded. I replied back by nodding my head as well.

     She walked downstairs quietly and I followed. It looked like she didn't want someone to see me. I didn't look to poor, I was wearing the best jacket I had in my house so I could fit in here. She dragged me down to her basement and we saw on some wooden chairs and she handed me a drink of water. "This is the freshest water I've had in years."

"Good, welcome to my life," she smiled.

"So how do you know all this? And why can I trust you?"

"Well for starters, my dad works for the government." she sighed, "he knows if people are dead, who's who and what the governments next move is."

"And you like the government?" I asked.

"My life's pretty good but I don't think I support them."

"Good don't."

I took a sip of my water and splashed some on my hands. I looked at Clover and wondered what was going on in her head. "Clover, why are some Unfortunates experiments and some aren't and what are experiments?"

"Experiments is their code word. They want special people to use for their ways. I don't know what they do to them but it isn't good. And why are some people "special?" It's because those people are tough, they've seen death."

"So if you're an Unfortunate, and you've seen death, you're valuable to The Middle?"

"Yes." she replied. "The mind works differently if you have seen death. You're more alert, you're powerful, you're dangerous. They would be afraid of you to an extent of were they want to control you."

"I have to get back."

"What?" she asked.

"I have to warn my family, I have to help them."

"Marcus, there's no use you're safe now."

"No Clover I have to go!" I shouted. I picked up my gun and hunting pack. "You can come with me, we leave at midnight."