Chapter 10

“Quick! We must get out of here. We cannot save her now!” Remuel started to turn back and walk with long strides. Ariz was still behind us. We rushed until we were out of the passage and back into the underground river. Remuel halted then gave Ariz the torch in his hand.

“I must leave you here now. Take this and follow the river, find the boat and you must bargain with the ferryman for your freedom” and with that, he turned to the shadows until he was gone.

“We’re on our own now. We must go” Ariz now led us through the shallow canal until we found the end of the passage which appeared to be another cave leading outside. There was an old rusty gate and this he now opened with the key that was given him by the other angel who had helped us.

The gate opened with a clang and there was a loud creaking sound as the three of us pushed it farther. It is as if the gate was never opened in a million years yet it stood there proud and forgotten. We slipped at last and this time Mina and I were catching our breath.

“Can you still make it? It won’t be long now. We are almost at the bank where we could find the ferryman” he was urging us to move forward and so we did.

“But what was that a while ago?”

“I don’t know. It could really be a demon. I don’t want to know”

“If it were a demon, aren’t angels supposed to be more superior?” Mina said. At this, he laughed well naturedly.

“Well, aren’t angels supposed to be more righteous as well?” he answered.

The fog grew denser as we moved on. The moon wasn’t bright enough so I could only make out shadows in the dark. There were dead branches along the way and they danced through the mist like ghosts. We finally reached the bank and saw the boat tethered to a post. But where is the ferryman?

“What is whiter than milk?” suddenly there was a voice nearby which is echoing through the whole place.

“Snow” Ariz answered without any hesitation.

“That is right but I believe it is not enough” and with this, his shadow appeared. He appeared to be a non-distinct old man in a straw hat but something’s not right. His wrinkled eyes were closed and he stood before us like a scarecrow. His limp arm was waving to us like it was tied to a string. Then a saw a much younger hand clasped around his wrist and another arm around its waist. And I couldn’t believe that I’d see those green eyes once more!

The mist seemed to finally go away and the moon shone brighter. Now I could see clearly. Behind him were two long poles and tied to each one were the tattered bodies of Cerise and Shayne!

“Lune!” I was able to burst out his name at last. My fists were clenched tightly ready to attack him if I must. Lune smiled approvingly. He was like a raven in his black robe and wings!

“Guess you finally made it Cien” he finally said without any interest or whatsoever as he finally let go of the now useless body of the ferryman.

“You were the one who attacked the cave where Cerise was held captive” Ariz implored matter of fact. Lune doesn’t need to say it but we knew it was certainly him. His black wings vanished and it was then I had second thoughts if he was in any way like us. There is something wrong. And he was already grinning at me like I am quite an amusement and that he could read my mind.

“Why did you have to kill him Lune?!” Ariz was pertaining to the ferryman. Lune just brushed this off.

“I was bored waiting. Besides, he will not let you pass no matter what. Can I not row the boat?”

“Lune, what else do you need me for. I want you to go straight to the point” Ariz was finally resigned. Lune walked slowly towards him as if Mina and I don’t exist.

“Nothing else, you did what you have to do and I know you are contented”

“Yes you’re right and I have nowhere else to go. But Lune, you know there is no one else who could row the boat!” he was looking straight into Lune’s eyes. The tension was getting worse and I felt like there will be no more help for us. I was dying to run towards the poles where the two girls were held high but I was just too scared to accept that they will not respond to my touch.

“But you were able to answer the question so I must, isn’t that right?” I heard Lune said this with a tinge of stubbornness.

“And you said so yourself that it is not enough-------“ he stopped then finally he laughed.

“-----but of course, you are clever. Lune, take them then..” the eyes of Ariz grew deeper and more dignified. He stood as if he was waiting for a blow. And as he closed his eyes, Lune struck him through the healing wound in his abdomen and his hand was like a claw gnawing right through his insides, as if searching for something, and once done he drew it out so he could feel it pulse in his palm.

Ariz managed to look at us for a while and smiled as if to say farewell until the light in his blue eyes grew dim. He finally fell down the ground and lay there lifeless. Lune’s eyes were back to us, his hand on his mouth, licking the blood from it. He looked indulged that he seemed to be distracted when Mina suddenly ran towards him and wrap him in an embrace. The necklace she was wearing was the first thing I saw. It was like a pendulum which brought me back to my sanity.

Before I could stop Mina, she was already in his arms and I flew back to the dreams I’ve had. It couldn’t be happening now! I saw her fell down at once. I already imagined the blood; Mina’s blood. But there was nothing. Mina appeared to be lifeless as she lies there down his feet but there was no blood. I watched him as he watched her peaceful face and to my astonishment, he planted a kiss on her white forehead. The blood from his hand is dripping in Mina’s white dress and she looked to me more like her image in my dream.

“Who really are you?!” I finally found my words and though my hands were trembling, I was able to pick the long dagger lying beside the body of Ariz and pointed out at him.

He just smiled at this like he was remembering some sort of a memory. It flooded through me as well, what happened at the arena. I felt a bit ashamed on how I might have cowered back then but I didn’t think much of it.

“I see that you’ve become tougher now huh? You seemed to hate me that much…” he appeared hurt as he said this. It only made me mad even more.

In a flick, he was suddenly on top of me and we were rolling down the bank like it was a mere street fight. I was hitting him blindly and it felt good to finally stain my fingernails with his blood. The rumble went on until I was finally exhausted and I felt my vision blurred with my own blood. My body lay limp and I felt like I was being lifted or dragged to someplace. I was finally heaved into the boat. It could be the boat for I felt the nausea as it was gently rocked by my weight and his.

My whole body was aching and so was my soul as I think of what happened to my companions. They were all dead and now I am alone with this bastard who now started to row the boat. He even has the guts of whistling a merry tune as he rowed. I tried to open my eyes and look up to see him. A smirk formed in my lips to see the ugly wound across his beautiful face.

“I’m going to kill you…I will definitely kill you…..” I think I whispered out loud. He just looked at me and smiled.

“I know you will. I know so rest now until you find me again. I’ll be waiting Cien. Oh how I long to feel your lips on mine once more…” and with this he laughed almost sweetly and yet maddeningly.

He was saying something else but I was already falling down into the darkness. He was again looking away as he went on with his whistling like this was the biggest joke of his life. And perhaps it was.