Chapter 13

For nights and days I’ve travelled from town to town on foot or if lucky, a couple of motorists would stop to give me a ride. It was a pleasant feeling to have more mortals around me. Most of them have the color of cinnamon or honey like Aunt Maggie’s. Their eyes were of the darkest chestnut or the cloudiest night. The women wore bright colors from red to purple. They were beautiful! I had managed to get my meal from small diners where I tend to wash the whole night’s dishes in return. True, they’d turn me away but after a second look, they’d hesitantly open the door to let me in. It was like I’ve been guided by luck and that this luck would whisper to them to take me in, or it could be the soft look in my eyes.

I sat in the corner with a plate of curry for my supper that night. The manager of the place was talking about the great poverty of India; however, he had given me quite a sumptuous meal of what he called a scrap of provision. I was gracious of his hospitality. After my meal, I went on with cleaning the dingy place and washed the dishes. I turned to go to find a place to sleep in the streets when he called me back in and took my bag. He led me to a small quarter and told me I could stay there for a night. I took the offer.

It was a small dark corner where they place cartoons of kitchen stocks. The quarter was filled of mosquitoes and the smell of rotten onions but I slept peacefully nonetheless. It was almost dawn when I opened my eyes and heard the ruckus. The voices were foreign to my ears but that did not surprise me. There were different kinds of people all over the town, but what would they be doing here so early? I got up and crept towards the door which was left ajar. The lights were all lit up outside the stock room. Beyond the kitchen I could see the main entrance of the restaurant and just around the main door was the manager along with two other men in foreign garbs of black jacket and tie. I tried to hear the conversations but I only caught words.

“We saw the boy came here. We need him”

“No, there is no boy here-----“ but before the manager could speak more, he was being handed with bills by the strangers. With these he stopped and became hesitant.

I couldn’t make out what was happening but as I looked into the face of the newcomers, I saw the familiar beauty which I have only seen on earth through the mirror.

I knew what they are. I could smell their scent. It was cool and refreshing. It was almost sweet. And I realized they were after me. Quickly, I took my bag and opened the door quietly as I tried to crawl out and into the kitchen where perhaps I could find the back door.

They finally took notice of me as the noise I made in the kitchen roused their attention. I saw how they let go of the old man to catch me but I was already out into the open air running blindly through the dark alleys. My duffel bag clutched through my fist as I was fumbling inside for my only weapon. I didn’t know how long I run but there was no stopping me. I believe I didn’t even bother to try to catch my breath.

Angels! I couldn’t be mistaken. They are angels sent to capture me back to Gehenna! And as I thought of it, I heard the flapping of wings. I didn’t bother to look anywhere else but forward but I know they are deadly close behind. Then the shadow blocked my way and when I tried to go back, another one landed. On my left is a wall of an old building; to the right were barb wires to what seemed to be wasteland.

“I’d rather see your faces than these shadows!” I called out bravely with the dagger ready in my sweaty hands. The two shadows drew their tall shapes. Again, I saw their immaculate faces and this time, their wings were spread right before me. But these angels look softer than the angels I saw in Gehenna, they don’t appear to be soldiers…but I know they are.

I heard the first one laughed. There was no malice in it. He slowly advanced towards me. The black jacket and tie were no longer there. They only wore the same white tunic and breeches from the tower of Insolence though they wore neither armor nor weapon.