Next Class

A/N: Hey guys! I'm lemons_are_fruit_too, a.k.a. Kay Powers. I'm really excited to be co-writing with AquariusEquestrian! I'll be writing in the point of view of Kyla, the character introduced in the last chapter. My writing style is a little different from Aquarius' and Mad_Eyed_Maddy's, but I hope you like it. Thanks for reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyla

A few minutes after the force field fiasco, I stood to the side of the battle yard with my magic partner, Tim. Tim had straight black hair and blue eyes, and a sort of awkward air around him that I happened to love, thank you very much. As was the case with all partners, we were a perfect match for each other.

We chatted and joked with another partnership, Amy and Carson, until it was time to go to the next class, Introductory Magic.

As soon as Barda dismissed the class, Tim yanked me toward the castle. I jabbed him in his skinny side with my elbow, and he released me with an indignant yelp. "Ow," he whined.

I winced. "Sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you..."

Tim forced a smile through the pain. "No biggie."

I laughed and hugged him around the middle. "You're the best."

"Aww, thank you!" someone said from beside us. "That's really nice of you to say!"

I released my hold on Tim so I could see the person next to me. A girl of about 15 years old walked casually beside me with another group of people, her hands stuffed in her jeans pockets. Her long brownish-blonde hair was tossed into a ponytail and her storm-green eyes sparkled with mischief. Her lips were currently twisted in a smirk.

I recognized her as the girl whom I had exchanged a few words with inside the forcefield. Now that she wasn't trying to fight Barda's magic, she didn't look as scary. I laughed uncomfortably because I wasn't really sure if she was joking or not. "Um... you're welcome?"

Thankfully the girl snorted with laughter at my hesitant manner. "I'm just joking." She nudged me with her shoulder in a friendly way. "My name's Sara. Who're you?"

"I'm Kyla," I introduced myself. "And this is Tim." Tim waved to Sara from my other side.

"Cool," Sara replied. "Those dorks over there are my friends." She pointed out a gaggle of boys and girls, all of whom were either laughing or looking insulted. I knew Madi, Ginger, Kathryn, and Charlie, but the rest were a mystery to me. "I'll introduce them to you after class. And speaking of class, where the crap are we going?"

"Oh, are you new here?" I asked interestedly. That would explain why I hadn't seen her or most of her friends around before.

"Duh!" Sara cried, throwing her hands into the air. "Did you think we were just invisible or what? In what world does that happen?!" Then she paused and seemed to consider her words. "Oh, wait..."

I laughed, deciding that I liked this sassy, sarcastic girl. "Any time, every day," I told her.

"Great," Sara groaned, rolling her eyes. "Anyway, where are we going?"

"Introductory Magic with Gwen Glena," I said.

Sara raised an eyebrow. "Gwen Lena? I mean, Glen Gwena--aaah!"

"Ga-wen Glen-a," I repeated slowly, fighting back a giggle.

Sara repeated the tongue-twister of a name until she got it right, and by then we were almost to the castle. A boy with golden blonde hair and green eyes broke away from Sara's friends and jogged over to us. She turned to him before he could say anything and proudly announced, "Gwen Glena!"

The boy's strangely dark eyebrows drew together for a second, but then his face melted into a smile and he held up a hand for a high-five. "Nice one."