Before

Sara

I've always been told that I am the 'Mom' friend. My interpretation of that was to help anyone in any way I was able. As cheesy as that sounds, I worked to supply any form of support someone might require. What I didn't know was that support could be in the form of me protecting my friends from demons.

Screaming, I body slammed my three friends out of the way of a giant something. Barely, we avoided being impaled by giant claws. Still screeching at the top of our lungs, we scrambled up. Hastily, I did a head count; first was me, then Adhya who was clutching my shoulder, Maddy who towered over my left and a flash of Amber's blond hair out of the corner of my eye.

Also one incredibly disturbing black mass that slithered out of our shadows. Transfixed in horrified fascination we watched the slippery mass deform its giant claws and reform its whole body. My mind switched from monster to demon. The demon's body shape was roughly that of a mixture of a wolf and a bear. It sat on its hind legs in an almost humanoid way. Oily, thick black fur covered the mass and burning red eyes bored into my soul. Leathery wings abruptly sprouted out of its back. Roaring, it beat the air with the wings and broke us from our stupor.

Swearing, we bolted away like young deer.

"WHAT IS THAT?!" Amber wailed in fear. Snarling, the demon raced after us, slashing with greedy claws.

"WE GOTTA GO!" Adhya shouted and hauled Amber away. Panting, we stumbled every step, tripping over stray rocks and clods of grass. It seemed like the very earth was against us.

The demon easily covered ground and glided over us. It landed directly in front of us and growled. We skidded to a stop and our feet shot out from under us. I painfully landed on Adhya's hip and bounced off and then was laying in my stomach in the dirt.

Baring teeth and flexing claws, the demon howled before shaking its tail and pouncing. Horrible teeth lunged for my exposed neck while vicious claws stretched for Maddy's unprotected stomach. An involuntary shriek forced its way through my throat. I was sure that we were all going to die.

There was a loud grunt and thump and I felt like an elephant had been slung into me. My eyes squeezed shut, I assumed death really had claimed me. Several times, something slugged me in the stomach and back. Hardly daring to believe that I was still alive, I cracked open one eye.

 A purple shimmery wall kept the demon at bay. Recoiling, the demon shook its head as purple sparks rippled across its body. A slam brought me back as cracks spiderwebbed across the smooth surface. I groaned loudly, the breath knocked solidly out of my chest. Every slam felt like it was hitting me instead of the shield.  My heart beat in time to the blows.

Gasping, I whacked Maddy's shoulder and she opened her eyes. With a shocked cry, she stood up and grabbed Amber. I remained curled on the ground, attempting to stir Adhya. Amber reached under Adhya and pulled her to her feet. Roughly Maddy wrenched me into a standing position. 

My brain had just enough time to refocus and then the wall vanished.

"Go!" Adhya yelled, barely aware. I scrambled for a moment but then steadied. Maddy stumbled and caught herself on my arm. We both barely avoided collapsing.

"We can do this! Run!" I encouraged. Maddy balanced her weight and lengthened her stride like a pro. I heard panting and hard footsteps. Amber pushed herself and streaked past me.

"Guys separate!" She yelled. We split, Maddy and I ran right while Adhya dove left. Amber stayed on a straight course before nimbly leaping to Adhya. Unprepared, the demon continued after her, but ran into an impressively large tree, causing it to cry out and fall.