We're Alive Surprisingly

Sara

"I'm flipping blind!" I cried. Hot tears raced down my face and soaked the shirt if whoever was holding me.

"You're blind too?" The boy asked.

"Too?" I replied in confusion. Then it dawned upon me. A storm of rage began brewing in my soul.

"DEATH YOU HAD US FREAKING JUMP OFF A BUILDING BLIND AND THE PERSON THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO CATCH US WAS BLIND TOO? WHAT NO!" I yelled. "Put me down boy."

He obliged. I could feel his surprise at my sudden change in attitude. Something happens, I cry, and we never speak of it unless you have a death wish. No pun intended.

I stood up straight and tall. My other senses were heightened. I felt myself shifting around as I rebalanced. I could hear Life and Death talking a ways away. I couldn't feel anything that explained my blindness.

Angrily I focused my energy and felt a veil over my eyes. Essentially, a magic blindfold. The rage burned through me and my eyes began to glow. The veil began to smoke. Hope filled me with energy.

My power began to boil. At that moment I knew it was for much more than casting shields. I reached into myself and just touched the surface.

The veil was incinerated off my eyes. I could see my friends still hanging onto their partners. I looked over at my partner and jumped in surprise. He had messy blonde hair and green eyes the same shade as mine. That's not what startled me.

His left sleeve was torn off. Part of someone's shirt was binding the wound. A mirror image of mine.

I looked closer at his face. His eyes were slightly drooping as if he was tired. However I knew that both of us were absolutely charged with adrenaline. I took a step closer and said, "I'm going to try and take the blindness away."

"Please."

I brushed his hair out of his eyes and looked closely. There seemed to be a black outline and the green of his eyes had a silvery sheen.

I closed my eyes and let instinct guide me. I took two fingers and kissed them. A flame sprang up and danced around. Gently I took my fingers and brushed them across his eyelids.

I felt the cold veil fall away from him. We stood for a moment with our eyes closed. I felt his soul pulse close to mine. Cautiously, they brushed by each other. Unsure of this new connection.

We opened our eyes together. His eyes widened in surprise.

"This is weird," I said. He tilted his head and then began to laugh.

"I'm Griffin," he said after we recovered. I smiled warmly, "I'm Sara."

"Nice to meet you," Griffin said with a grin. Suddenly his expression changed, "Good lord what happened to your arm?"

"Oh," I gave it a few shrugs. "A demon clawed me, but it doesn't really hurt that bad."

"No way," he whispered. His face turned whiter than a sheet.

"What? I'm ok, I promise," I asked and tilted my head. Wordlessly, he pointed to his left shoulder. A bandage was wrapped firmly around it.

"Oh yeah. I noticed that earlier. Three claws?" I realized.

"Yeah how did... No," Griffin said with a shake of his head.

"This is insane!" I exclaimed and laughed. Of course, that was the moment the wound decided to remind me that it was painful. "Eesh!"

I grabbed it and winced. My legs began to shake and a tear leaked out of the corner of my eye.

"Are you ok?" Griffin asked and grabbed my good arm. I waved my hand at him.