"What surprises you?"

Bernese gave Kayla a sad look, while Anthony chuckled lightly.

"You needn't get so defensive, Kayla." He assured. "I'm surprised at the way the tables have turned so drastically, compared to the way things were a year ago, at the last solstice. You remember, don't you?"

She agreed softly. She did remember, a little too well. She had just turned 16 and her engagement to Damian had been announced. Neither of them could have hated the idea more, and her father was snarling at Devon the whole time. Now, she loved the idea of marrying Damian, but after everything, it could never happen. In a couple weeks she'd be turning 17 and the packs would converge for the next solstice. It excited her, because she knew Damian would be there, but that thought also gave her acute anxiety.

What would he say to her? What would she say to him? After all, he'd disappeared from her life without even a wave goodbye from himself. She wasn't even sure if he wanted her anywhere near him. She knew for a fact that what her pack had done to him was unforgivable, but she was binded to them by blood, and she always would be.

Bernese picked up on her daughter's sudden sadness. She sat up gently and gave the penthouse a sweep with her eyes.

"We should get this place ready for tonight." She suggested brightly.

Anthony began moving the furniture in the living room, and brought out tables and chairs. It was Thanksgiving and they had invited all of the pack to enjoy a feast in the penthouse. Kayla worked with her mother to set them and make sure everything was orderly.

"I know you miss him." Bernese said to her softly. "And I'm sorry. I truly believe he is a good boy after all, but you need to move on."

"I have moved on."

Bernese shook her head. "I know you. You tend hold on too tightly, and that's okay, we're all different. But you need to be honest with yourself before you can heal."

Kayla stopped what she was doing and hung her head. "I'm hoping that when I see him at the solstice, we'll maybe be able to start where we left off."

"How would that happen?"

Kayla frowned deeply. "It probably wouldn't. Not after it hasn't even been a year. He's probably still mourning everything he lost. No, I know it can't happen."

"Then why are you holding onto it?"

"I'm not."

"No?" Bernese lifted an eyebrow.

Kayla's lip quivered. "I don't think so."

"But you don't know."

She glared at her mother. She had an acute talent of dragging everything out of her daughter. Nothing could be hidden from her, not even things that she had no idea were hidden the whole time. Sometimes, Kayla couldn't see even her own shadows, she would be convinced that she was in sunlight, only to find she's in darkness when her mother turned on the actual light.

"Mom." She begged. She thought she was telling her mother to back off with that one word. But when her mother neared with gentle sympathy, which brought a wave of relief into Kayla, she realized that word was actually a cry for help.

"You still need time, Kayla. Don't lie to yourself the way you have been these past weeks."

Kayla nodded in accordance.

Bernese sighed. "What truth are you trying to escape?"

"That we'll never have what we could have had." She whispered darkly, taking in a shaky breath. "I know that he and I need time, but I'm afraid that when we've had all the time we need, we'll have forgotten each other and I don't ever want to forget him, and I don't want him to forget me."