Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

They wrestled, fed and fucked until sheer exhaustion overtook her, and she slid into a short doze. She awoke to the sensation of him drinking from her. Darkyn wore her out enough to where her thoughts no longer spun out of control. Calm, she was able to focus. The image of Past-Death wouldn’t leave her mind. She’d felt that level of desperation before and didn’t wish it upon the woman meant to be with Gabriel.

“Is it wrong for me to want her to be happy, too, even after all she did?” she whispered.

Darkyn withdrew from her neck.

“I cannot see humans or Immortals or deities as you do. I see only the parts of them that hold depravity, weakness. I do not wish them well or happy. I evaluate them for opportunities,” he said. “I understand pleasure, not happiness.” As he spoke, he slid a nail down her hip, drawing blood. She shivered at the sensation.

“I know,” she murmured. “You see me differently now, but did you when we met?”

“I saw what I do with everyone: what it would take to bring you here,” he said. “You feared death, and I dangled hope in front of you. You made up your mind to deal with me, even if Gabriel was not part of your future.”

“When did you figure out I was your mate?”

“In the shadow world when you told me about your tumor. As soon as I touched you, I knew,” he said. “You remember what you were thinking when you turned down my offer the first time?”

She was quite for a moment, thoughtful. It was difficult to hear how easily he’d evaluated and cornered her to get her to Hell.

“You were the first person to give me a choice,” she murmured. “You’ve been reading my mind from the beginning, haven’t you?”

“From that moment, off and on. I had to be sure I even wanted you here.”

“You let me go the first time because you knew I was your mate. You could’ve killed me and taken the soul out of my head at any point.”

“Yes.”

She shivered, unaware just how close she’d been to dying by his hands.

“Is this what all demons do?” she asked.

“Love, what I do to you would kill a demon many times over.”

She gave a startled laugh. “Are you serious?”

“Yes.”

“A blood bound, deity’s mate is the only person who could keep up with you,” she guessed.

“Eternity is a long time to go unsatisfied.”

It was almost an admission of loneliness, if a demon had feelings. She understood a bit more why a mate might appeal to even the Dark One. Darkyn was ancient, according to the tutorial she’d watched, from the time-before-time. He’d never had a partner in all his time alive.

“Are you satisfied?” she asked.

“Very.”

“You aren’t going to ask me?”

“I already know you are,” he replied. “I see your thoughts like mine.”

All of them?”

“Even the one where you planned to lie to me about Wynn healing Selyn.”

“Ah. Okay.” She waited for some sort of reaction. He was quiet. “Did I make a good deal?”