Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Deidre. The summons came.

She stood, terrified of what she’d find when she went to the living room. Granted, she hadn’t heard anything, but she knew Darkyn well enough to know he didn’t plan on leaving anyone alive.

Deidre hugged herself and padded down the hallway, her heart flipping in her chest. She was expecting to see some gruesome scene like that in the second bedroom caused by Darkyn’s demons a week ago or what he’d done to his own demons who tried to drink her blood in Hell.

What she saw was worse.

“Gabriel,” she breathed.

Death was a dark, towering, muscular figure in the living area of her apartment, clothed in black and wearing an expression that mirrored what she felt. He was armed but hadn’t yet replaced the trench coat she cost him soon after they met. His dark eyes swept over her, lingering at her neck, where her wound had healed with Darkyn’s power.

“Deidre?” he faced her fully. “You’re alive.”

She nodded, unable to speak. Her heart was breaking again or maybe, her hope crumbling. She wasn’t certain what to feel: angry at Darkyn for setting her up or sorrow at facing the mate she’d never have.

Gabriel was speechless for a long moment.

“What the fuck is going on?” he demanded.

She jumped at the harsh words. She glanced at Darkyn, who was still. Silent. Watching. She fought the urge to cross to him. This felt like another of his tests or maybe, his way of closing another door.

Gabriel’s eyes were on her.

“I, um, made a deal with Darkyn. I went to Hell and …” she drifted off. She crossed her arms, close to panicking. First the death dealers attacking her, now Gabriel.

“…had the tumor removed which happened to be Past-Death’s soul. Darkyn brought Past-Death back, fulfilling their mystery-deal, and you were at the mercy of Darkyn,” Gabriel finished for her.

She nodded. “As his mate.”

“His mate.” His disbelief was clear.

He started towards her. Deidre skirted away, placing the recliner between them. Darkyn had tensed at Gabriel’s’ movement. Though the demon lord didn’t move from his spot, she was afraid of causing any sort of confrontation between them.

“I just want to see the mating marks. That’s it,” Gabriel said.

She hesitated and glanced at Darkyn. He didn’t move.

She nodded at Gabriel.

“You okay?” Gabriel asked in a hushed voice.

Another nod.

Gabriel stretched towards her slowly. Deidre braced herself, hoping not to feel the warm energy of his magic. She didn’t feel ready for it yet. It was hard enough for her to stand before him, knowing they could’ve been together.

He took her arm with one of the hands that had explored every part of her body not two weeks before. He tugged her out from behind the chair then turned her gently. He pushed her hair over one shoulder, and his hands dropped. No warm magic drifted through her. Was she glad or upset?

“Gods, Darkyn,” he muttered, astonished.

Deidre looked at the demon lord. Darkyn’s eyes were on Gabriel.