Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Deidre.

A vision of the beach where she met Gabriel told her who it was.

Deidre sucked in a breath, torn. Darkyn didn’t restrict her movement or who she saw, but the idea of seeing Gabriel again so soon after their meeting yesterday disturbed her.

She didn’t want to go, especially with the memories of the movies about his past still fresh. She didn’t want to not go. Darkyn was right; she still had feelings for Death, and she didn’t know what to do about them. After a moment grappling with her mixed emotions, she got up and called a portal.

“I’ll be back, Zamon,” she told the ancient demon.

“Like I have anywhere else to go,” he replied grumpily. His tone made her smile despite her anxiety.

Deidre crossed through the shadow world. She turned her hair back to long pink as she walked, self-conscious about Gabriel seeing her tattoos even though he already knew about them.

Gabriel awaited her on the beach near where they’d first sat together two weeks before. His gaze was on the ocean, his large form tense and still. Stars and a half moon were bright, the sound of the ocean comforting. She didn’t realize how much she missed the human world. She ached to be back in it regularly.

“Hi, Gabriel,” she called softly.

He twisted, gaze going down her frame. After a moment, Gabriel laughed.

“He turned you into a sex demon!” he exclaimed.

Deidre flushed. The chilly ocean breeze made her dress move as if it was alive, and she swiped at the pink hair blinding her. She crossed her arms, shivering.

“I like it,” he added. He patted the sand beside him.

“Of course you do. You’re male. Me? Not so much!” she retorted. She hesitated then sat beside him. “This is where we met.” She wanted to ask him why he chose this spot but was afraid to.

“I’m surprised he let you come,” he said, eyes returning to the sea.

“He says the mate of the Dark One can do whatever she wants. Apparently, evil is equal opportunity.”

“Not sure seeing an ex-mate is included.”

Deidre glanced at him. The bitterness in his voice bothered her. Gabriel kept his eyes on the ocean.

“Are you really okay?” he asked.

“I think so,” she answered. Given the circumstances. “He, um, has been very assertive and direct.”

“You mean violent and aggressive.”

“Not violent,” she replied quickly. “Not with me, at least. He leaves no room for failure or my hope that certain things will change.”

“You don’t think you’ll ever leave Hell.”

“I can come and go. But he will always be my … mate.” It was still an overwhelming idea. Hearing it out loud only made her more confused.

“I’m serious about taking you to the underworld, if he hurts you,” he reasserted. “Immortal Laws be damned. If I’d had the balls to …” he stopped.

She rested her temple on one knee, eyes on him. She smiled, touched by his concern. She almost told him that – of the two of them – she was the one with nothing to fear from Darkyn.