Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

She emerged into the hallway in front of Zamon’s library. Zamon didn’t look up as she entered.

“Maybe we will get through another deity or two more today,” he said in a disgruntled voice.

“I’m not having a good day, Zamon,” she grumbled back. She mentally envisioned his wings pink again.

They turned colors in response. He gave her a harried look.

“Very well. We are starting with Fate,” Zamon said. He tapped the Oracle book waiting where she left it. She sat down to watch, unhappy with how her morning had gone so far.

A familiar face appeared from the words, the golden-skinned deity she nicknamed Mr. Checkmate the first time they met at the Immortal Sanctuary. Fate was as old as Darkyn. Instead of war in his background, there was peacemaking and diplomacy from the beginning.

“Fate has been served by three deities, making it second oldest in existence,” Zamon started. “Fate is considered the weakest deity, which gives him unlimited access to all of the worlds. He also appears uninvited in your library at will.”

She blinked, not registering the deity was behind her until he spoke.

“I wouldn’t say weakest,” Fate mused. “Perhaps in the histories of the demons. In our histories, I’m king of the universe.”

“You again,” Deidre groaned.

“He comes here often,” Zamon muttered. “Normally to spy upon my records.”

“I have no need to spy,” Fate replied. “There are a few creatures I’ve collected over the years that interest me. You are looking well, Zamon, for being a million years old. Pink is a good color on you.”

Zamon ignored him. “Weakest, because he has no source of power.”

“One might argue that manipulating the Future and unfettered access to the present provides more than enough influence.”

“Perhaps he is simply lazy,” Zamon answered. “The more freewill Fate allows, the more depravity is created to feed the Dark One.”

“It works both ways, demon.”

Deidre laughed at the exchange, sensing a quasi-friendship as old as the two arguing.

“I’m guessing Zamon didn’t tell you who he was,” Fate said, moving around the table. “Darkyn did not slay the Dark One. He simply forced him to retire.”

“You?” she gasped, looking hard at Zamon.

“The danger with Darkyn is dealing,” Zamon said.

“And fighting. He’s the most incredible warrior you ever trained,” Fate added.

“I trained my hatchling well.”

As she watched, the ancient demon changed forms, turning into his human form, a handsome man in his prime. He was neither ancient nor ugly, with familiar dark eyes and hair and roughly hewn features. Unlike Darkyn, whose hair was short, Zamon’s long hair was captured in a braid. His smile didn’t reach his gaze but revealed fangs the size of Darkyn’s.

“What’s a hatchling and what did you just do?” Deidre asked, standing in alarm. The strange calm she felt around Zamon remained, and she recalled more clearly Darkyn’s words about how the original Dark One lured in his prey.