Me Without You

Eli and I got all of our school supplies within the week but we still had to go out and get clothes. Thelma decided to watch Allison for the day so we could go shopping for school. Dylan and I haven't actually talked in about a week. He's texted me a few times and even left a few voicemails but I'm still not ready to hear what he has to say.

After a few hours of morning clothes shopping Eli and I go out to eat some lunch. We opted for an Applebee's that was nearby the mall. The server seats us and we look at the menus to decide what to drink.

"Dark or light?" Eli asks.

"Dark." I say.

"Okay. Root beer it is."

"I'm going to get a lemonade." I decide. "With a burger. I'm craving burgers."

"I think I'm going to get enchiladas." Eli tells me. A couple of minutes later our server comes and takes our drink orders.

"Would you like any appetizers?"

"Umm, no but can we go ahead and order?" She nods. We order our food and she smiles and tells us that it will be right out. We play a couple of games on the kiosk while we wait.

"Is that Dylan?" Eli asks as I finish my round. I look in the direction that Eli is looking at and sure enough Dylan was standing there. He wasn't alone though. Liz was standing there next to him with her arms wrapped around his waist. Her chin was leaning against his chest as she looked up at him in admiration. I instantly felt a pang of jealousy and looked away. I pass the kiosk to Eli.

If he wanted to date her then fine. Who am I to tell him he can't? My brain tells me. But my heart had other ideas. He supposed to let me wrap my arms around him like that. It's supposed to be me who looks up at him in admiration like that. It's supposed to be me that he takes out for lunch.

I feel a tear fall and wipe it away quickly before anyone notices. Who cares what I feel? It's never mattered what I felt about something. Nothing that ever mattered to me has stayed in my life. I'm surprised I'm not used to that feeling yet. I've experienced it my whole life. Our food finally comes and we eat in silence. I keep myself from glancing at Dylan's table.

"I have to go to the bathroom." Eli says standing. I nod and continue eating. A few seconds later I feel a presence beside me.

"I thought you were going to the bathroom?" I ask looking up at who I thought was Eli. Dylan stands by me and I fell my heart stop. "I thought you were Eli." I mumble. I take another bite of my burger.

"Do you mind if I sit?" Dylan asks pointing to Eli's empty spot. I stare at him as walks around the table and sits down in front of me. We sit in silence while I continue eating my burger.

"So how have you been?" Dylan asks awkwardly. When I don't answer he nods. "Okay."

"Why are you here with her?" I ask quietly.

"We aren't dating." He says looking down at the table. Our server brings the ticket and I set Mom's card on top.

"That's not what I asked."

"But that's the answer you wanted." He looks back up at me. "Am I wrong?" No. I don't say anything.

"You obviously didn't listen to my voicemails." He mutters. "It was one of the last ones. I told you that I would give Liz a shot since you were so keen on me trying to date her."

"I didn't really want you to date her." I say quietly. "I needed an excuse so I couldn't." He furrows his eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you-"

"I was scared to date you. I've never had a boyfriend and Liz already didn't like me as it was. I needed a reason to back out."

"So the whole time we dated, you didn't even want to date?" Dylan asks standing up as Eli comes back.