chapter four

A Friend

The school bell rang. While walking to the school gate, I saw a Jack staring at his feet and dragging them as he moved. I walked up to him. He still had not noticed me. I tapped his shoulder gently and he jumped.

I could not help but immediately notice the red rims of his eyes when he looked up at me. Concerned, I frowned and asked him, "Are you alright? You look really bad." He just looked away and nodded. It only made me more worried.

"Jack, if there is anything wrong, tell me, okay? Don't bottle up your feelings."

"I... I'm alright, thanks." Jack cringed a little when his voice cracked.

"So, um... What did Mr Lee talk to you about?"

"(Y/N), let's not, um, talk about that anymore."

"Are you going to be okay?" I was worried that he was going to have punishments or stuff like that.

He just nodded, smiled weakly and gently brushed my hair from my face. I just furrowed my eyebrows a little and did not do anything. I didn't know why but I just let him even though we just got to know each other. I was usually very sensitive to that.

I just brushed it off and said goodbye to Jack as I turned to walk home. However, he tapped on my shoulder, causing me to turn back. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Hey, don't go home alone anymore. I'll walk you home." He offered with a grin on his face.

I just shook my head and told him that I would be alright, but he insisted. Eventually, I just gave in.

A few minutes later, I stepped in front of the flat I lived in.

"Um, I've reached. You may... go back now," I said awkwardly. Jack's eyes widened.

"You live here? I live just right there!" Jack excitedly pointed to my flat, then the one just a block away. I was surprised too. We had never seen each other before then, though.

I told Jack that I had to go. He waved and I waved back with a smile as I walked inside.

Maybe this was what having a friend felt like.

(A/N)
Please forgive me for not updating in so long! I might give a name to the "reader", should I?
I am now writing shorter chapters, but more updates (hopefully, if I'm not too busy)!

Also, you are now friends with Jack in this story :D

Hope y'all enjoyed it!
Thank you so much for reading! :)
~paka <3