Chapter 5 - Through the Rapids

Maine's POV

Day 2 (Sunday)

"Kuya Alden, you'll be on our raft diba po?" my cousin Khloe requests clinging to Alden. She's too cute for her own good.

I'm stretching because even though this is my first time to experience white water rafting, I have no doubt hours of paddling will cause sore muscles.

"Ate Maine, you'll be on the same raft as us diba po?" Alden nudges me perfectly mimicking my cousin.

We are at the drop off point and were asked to put life vests then grab some paddles. The guide ushers us to our rafts and we head out to the calm waters of Pennsylvania.

My Aunt Lou and Uncle Ollie stumbled upon this activity when they celebrated their anniversary last year. During that time only the two of them went, today all my relatives and Alden are in four rafts with at least five people each. We're a big group and guess what, Alden paid for all of us!

We didn't even know until we checked in for our reservations and were told that everything is paid for. How Alden did that is beyond me. He's got some serious Christian Grey moves.

Of course we argued with him that he is our visitor and should not spend a dime but he would hear nothing of it. Now my aunts are all for Alden to be officially part of our family. That means endlessly dropping hints for us to become a couple. I mean come on, why not? But the poor guy hasn't asked me out yet. Looks like someone is hopeful.

Unfortunately, Alden is only here for a movie shoot so my wishful thinking of possibly dating Alden flew as fast as it came.

"Ate Maine! Magsagwan ka naman!" Chrissy chastises me. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize we've been in the water for some time.

Alden chuckles and I turn to give him the evil eye but that just made his smile grow wider. Damn, I can't even get mad at him.

"Don't worry Maine, I got ya" Alden paddles harder and my eyes follow his movements. Gosh, those biceps are really something.

"Ahem!" Chrissy and Khloe shakes their heads at me and I bite my lip after getting caught staring.

At the corner of my eye, I see Alden falter with his movements but quickly recovers before coughing as if something was stuck in his throat.

"Okay ka lang?" I ask and he just nods turning his attention to our surrounding. What just happened?

*****

An hour later we stopped at the side of the river. The flow of the water is calm and Tito Ollie told us that we're close to the rapids but that they are not as intense as we're probably imagining. My aunts handed us burritos and sandwiches for lunch. I grab one for me and Alden then motioned for him to sit with me on the rock near our raft.

"So Alden, I heard prinessure mo si Jake who is all the way in London for my number?" I joke as he is about to take a bite of his burrito.

"Ah... ehh"

I raise my perfectly trimmed eyebrows at him.

"Actually... kasi..."

I can't help but laugh, why is he stuttering?

"Relax Alden, I'm just kidding. I know you're close with Jake so no wonder you got my number from him. I'm sure you have all our block mates' mobile numbers anyway"

Both of us enjoy our food silently when Alden questions me, "But how did Jake got your number? If he is all the way in London like you said?"

I gulp.