A NIGHT TOGETHER

"Hurry you stupid witch!" Corvan said, "We were supposed to leave minutes ago!"

Valeriana quickened her pace and jogged up to the young lord, all the while muttering unladylike things under her breath.

They were going to Denovegasia to investigate a town, wherein a demon has been spotted roaming around during the day and night.

And she was dreading the mere fact that the headmaster had paired her with the first ranker.

"What was the headmaster thinking, making you my partner?" she heard Corvan say.

"I should be asking you that, idiot devil!" she yelled once she stood in front of him.

Instead of making a retort, the Arlandian lord gave her a glare, before slinging on the bag that contained the things he needed for this trip. His sword was strapped to his waist, the same as the fifth ranker.

He then huffed out an air of pure annoyance and turned to the portal. He placed a hand on the knob and spoke aloud.

"Klein, Denovegasia Continent," he said.

There was a click and there he spotted their destination. A small cozy-looking town was being bathed by the setting sun's golden rays.

It was a lovely sight, he had to admit.

He was taken a bit by surprise when Valeriana passed him like air and went ahead.

Not wasting another second, he followed after her and his boots made contact with the soft and tall grass. The scent of different flowers wafted to his nose, and it made him feel relaxed.

Valeriana on the other hand, was looking around as her eyes lit up in wonder of the new surroundings. Denovegasia was more verdant than the others continents she had seen so far. This was proven so with all the trees that towered over her and the thick undergrowth that surrounded the path that led to the town.

"We should get going and find a place to say. We can start tomorrow," Corvan said as he began walking down the path.

Valeriana figured it would be best to shut up, and decided to follow him.

They walked past a couple of trees, until Valeriana paused, making Corvan raise a brow at her.

He followed her gaze, and saw that her eyes were fixed on something moving in the bushes.

She then began walking towards it slowly as she squint her eyes. A lump of something black suddenly popped out of the bushes and disappeared.

Valeriana was so startled she jumped. But once her feet landed back down on the ground, she slipped and slid towards the bushes.

She didn't expect that there was a steep slope behind the underbrush, and she ended up sliding down, as branches and leaves slap her face.

Corvan bolted after her.

There was a loud splash, as Val finally reached the bottom of the slope. A pond, another thing she didn't expect.

"Darn it!" she yelled loudly, as she tried to stand. She was in the shallow part of the pond―shallow mucky part to be specific.

Corvan came next, and wasted no time in helping her up. She was completely soaked, no doubt about it. Her things were also drenched and black smelly mud covered some parts of her clothes, including her hair.

He crinkled his nose in disgust.

"Not a word, you jerk," the fifth ranker said as she gave him a withering glare.