Chapter 26: The Heartbreak

There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.

-Malcolm X

Coco Spencer's POV

It's been three days since the finalization of the divorce. I should feel better now that I was once again a single woman this was what I want, wasn't it? Yet, all I could feel was misery in my heart. Since we signed the divorce paper last Saturday I moved out of the manor and took residence back in my old flat.

Rafe hasn't been here before but everywhere I looked I could swear he'd been here before. Even if, I tried to deny it for the past few days I missed him terribly. I thought when we haven't seen each other for a long week I could continue to live my life without him. The truth was, I had never been to Hampshire the previous week. I just stayed here in my flat planning my next move. But seeing him in the restaurant made me think again if I could survive living without him.

And that's the last time I saw him. The following morning after our divorce he sent his secretary to pick his clothes on the manor. I asked the woman waiting patiently—as the maid placed his clothes on the luggage—where was her boss why couldn't he personally get his stuff in the manor. The woman replied not meeting my gaze that Signore Moretti was busy at the office finalizing everything before his flight back home later that day.

I felt unexpected pain in my heart. So he'd been serious about leaving London for good then? Just the thought of not seeing him again brought tears to my eyes. Like this very moment just thinking about the events that had happened since the divorce, my eyes blurred with tears again.

Here I was, curled up on my sofa with the untouched tea on the coffee table. I haven't gone out of this apartment since I moved back. I didn't remember the last time I ate something. Every food I eat tastes like chalk.

My parents started to feel worried about me and keep on sending me messages inquiring about my welfare. I haven't answered their messages I wanted to be alone and let my misery eat me each passing day.

I heard my doorbell sounded but I ignored it. I don't want to see anyone today or maybe for a few days or weeks at the most. If I would just keep quiet maybe that person would think I'm not at home and would decide to leave.

But the persistent ring on the doorway irritated my ears. I wanted silence in my place, damn it! I grudgingly from the sofa and opened the door with a ready scowl on my face. "What..."

"Surprise!" The familiar sweet voice of a woman sounded behind the enormous flower arrangement in her hand. "I traveled London back and forth searching for you, woman. Everyone thought you vanished in the thin air. She lowered the flower arrangement so she could look at me. I was greeted by warm gold eyes. "How are you? Where's your husband I want to meet him."

Just what I wanted to hear right this moment someone was inquiring about the husband I lost. And just like that, I couldn't contain anymore the emotions I've been trying my best to hide for days. I burst into tears in front of Lucia Salazar.

"Good Lord!" Lucia exclaimed, putting down the flower arrangement on the floor. She was enveloped in a hug. "What's wrong?"

"We're divorce." I sobbed in her shoulder. I couldn't bear the pain in my heart anymore. "We're no longer husband and wife. And I missed him terribly."

"There...There..." She patted my back affectionately. "Would you like to talk about this inside your house? Your neighbor was starting to give us a weird look. I don't want to be the center of London rumors that I made you cry."