Chapter 22: The Heiress

A true heiress is never mean to anyone—except a girl who steals your boyfriend.

-Paris Hilton

Rafe Moretti's POV

After the most uncomfortable dinner that I had in my life, I slowly tiptoed on to the bedroom I shared with my wife. It was already past ten and I saw Coco soundly asleep in the bed. I didn't want to wake her up.

Slowly removing my clothes, I to the bed beside her very carefully not wanted to rouse her from her slumber. As I found my comfortable position in the bed she turned around to my side and spoke with her eyes still shut which made me cringe. "You reek with a woman's perfume and I swear to God this is not my scent. So where have you been, dear?"

I sighed deeply, wrapping my arms around her. "I went to a dinner meeting today with the potential investor in our company," I confessed quietly. "But the man brought his daughter with him."

"You seem sitting far too close to this daughter of his during your dinner that's why her perfume sticks to your skin, Mister Moretti." She commented, but it would not take a genius to hear the warning in her voice.

"I am not," I answered immediately, closing my eyes. I need to tell her about what really happened at that business dinner I don't want her to misunderstand it again. I learned my lesson from the first time I hide something from her. "But I have to be honest to you, Signorina. You are correct this morning. This girl might...hmm, how should I say this...?"

"She likes you?" She completed it for me. She slightly moved away from our embrace to look at me in the face. "This girl likes you, right?"

"Maybe you could say that." I admitted, staring deep in her blue-grey gaze."But before you jump to a conclusion I told her immediately that I'm already a married man."

She snorted. "I bet that girl doesn't mind if you are married or not."

"Don't worry," I reassured her, kissing her forehead. "I am not interested in her. She's not my type at all."

She stared at me with a smile. "What's your type then?"

I returned the smile, caressing her gold hair. "My type of girl is a golden-haired angel with eyes like the color of the sky when a storm is coming. She's scary when she's jealous. But most importantly she's a bit impulsive and always goes for whatever she wants whatever the cost."

"Hmm," She said, preventing herself from smiling at me. "Do you think you already found that girl, honey?"

"Why do you want to know?" I countered, raising my eyebrow in her direction.

She shrugged casually. "Just curious, that's all."

"Maybe I will tell you someday," I said, raising her chin to kiss her lips briefly. "Enough of this for now. Go back to sleep we have a long day ahead tomorrow."

"Good night, honey." She murmured sweetly, going back to my embrace.

"Good night, Signorina. Sweet dreams." Kissing her head one last time before I joined her in her sleep.

NEXT MORNING...

I was dressing in our bedroom, preparing to leave for the office. From the dresser mirror, I saw Coco sitting on the bed staring at me intently. "What?" I asked through the reflection of the mirror.

"Do you mind if I come for a visit to your office today?" She asked straightly.

I turned around to look at her with a smile playing on my lips. "Why?" I asked teasingly. "Do you want to survey if my business investor's daughter will show up again?"