Chapter 1: The Encounter

We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.

-Maya Angelou

Rafe Moretti's POV

I stared at the outrageous woman who casually wore my shirt like she has every right in doing so. Why destiny is so cruel to me? I asked myself silently. The last thing I want was another scandal attached to my name. I haven't yet recovered from the humiliation with the fact that my bride runaway the day before our wedding to meet her ex-lover.

Now this tabloid thing, I was caught entering my hotel building with a drunk woman in my arms. This was all her fault why I was in this kind of situation again. She's now spouting nonsense about marrying her now that her family name was a disgrace. What about mine?

"Are you still drunk?" I asked casually. Because that's the only reason I knew why she's telling me this rubbish.

She shook her blond head and smiled mischievously in my direction. "No, I'm not drunk anymore though I'm just suffering from a slight headache." She walked where the telephone. "Have you had your breakfast? No?" She dialed the reception area and ordered breakfast. I just watched her in disbelief.

"We need to sort this mess as soon as possible." I picked up the tabloid I bought a while ago after my morning run and showed it to her.

"The only thing we can do with that unfortunate tabloid incident is to wed. Like I said there should not be a scandal attached to our precious family name." She suddenly moved where I'd been standing barefoot. "You're really handsome. Last night you were slightly blurred in my eyes like a bad connection while watching YouTube."

I took a step backward when we're already standing few feet away from each other. "Has anyone told you that you are too bold for your own good, Signorina?"

"Many times," She replied with a smile, stalking after me slowly. "I believe that being bold is part of my charm. I hope you are not immune to my charm now that you are now my groom-to-be. Oh, that reminds me I still don't know your name, honey." She held out her hand. "Corrine Cordelia Spencer. Coco for short and you are..?"

"Rafe." I shook her delicate hand briefly. "Rafe Moretti. And let me clear this to you, Signorina. I'm sorry but I will not marry you. If you want to get your inheritance please look for another person who will gladly help you with your quest. I am not that person."

"Rafe? As in Rafaelle?" She asked cheerfully. When I nodded, she pouts at me. "But I like you. I think we will suit each other. You are the perfect husband for me. Why are you against marrying me? I'm beautiful, kind, independent, and intelligent don't forget a super-rich woman."

I smiled sadly in her direction. "I'm sorry. I don't have anything personal against you. It's just I don't wish to marry anymore in this lifetime, at least."

She advanced in my direction again. She gave me this dazzling smile. "I can change your mind, you know? Will you let me change your mind in your view of marriage? I'm pretty good with that. Want to try?"

I took several stepped backward. I shook my head resolutely. "Oh no, you don't. I think you already proved that point last night." I haven't forgotten the spew that covered my shirt through the night. "Please don't make a habit of kissing strangers you just met. Value yourself high, Signorina."

"Oh, I did kiss you last night, then?" Her blue-green eyes filled with confusion as if trying to remember the night before. "I thought it's just a dream. Anyways, it doesn't matter I'm a modern British woman, and kissing handsome stranger is just fine."