Chapter 8

*ding ding ding* we have a winner!
Enjoy!

~*CHAPTER 8*~

"Ring Bearer?!" Adelaide shrieked. Julian had to punch her in the arm to stop her from saying other, rather stupid, things.

"Oops, I always forget you guys are just visitors," Nina shook her head apologetically. "He's basically how we all live."

"No, no, we know who he is," Julian said, shooting Adelaide a threatening look, daring her to object.

"Good for you guys then," Nina smiled, stopping in front of a building that seemed to go on endlessly high. "Here's the hotel guys. Enjoy your stay!"

"Hey, Nina?" Julian called.

"Yeah?"

"What does Abraxis tie Jocasta to him with?"

"A pair of rings called the Torch Rings," she replied. "Why?"

"Just wondering," Julian shrugged. Nina nodded and waved, leaving the two standing frozen in surprise.

They were in a huge mound of trouble.

And no amount of Skittles or Nutella would make up for this.

*****

The hotel lobby was classy in the most unclassy way possible- if that makes sense. It has all the corporate taste for opulent items without the slightest touch of personality- whose little out of sync items that makes decor "human." Maybe that's deliberate, considering these people were more or less human. It could be that in this chaotic world we are attached to spacious devoid of such things. In the human relationship, they own devices for keeping our friends on the other side of the pixelated screen- a stripped down version of friendship.

The deep, brown floor shines as well as any polished glass. Flowers, the perfect shade of orange to compliment the woody hues and creams. Through closer inspection, anyone would find that the stamens have been pulled out to prevent the pollen from disturbing the perfect sheen on the mahogany pedestal tables. The floor was tiled in fine marble, which made every step echo. A chandelier made rainbow colors dance across the luxurious lobby. Embroidered silk sofas surrounded a large, flat-screen television. The twin doors that led into the lobby were a pristine white with golden handles. The desk was made of amber-colored wood and a green granite top. Exquisite paintings hung from the rich, red walls. Even the door hinges were engraved with swirls and elegant designs.

This was quite different from what Adelaide and Julian were used to back in the busy streets of California. Hotels back there weren't that perfect.

They made their way over to the reception desk, and were rather surprised to see a young man- no older than them- was slumped in a deck chair. His cap was titled to obscure his face as he dozes, hands over his stomach, knitted together by his interlocked fingers. Before either of them can say a word, the phone rings, jolting the employee from his slumber. At first, he was wild and alarmed by both the telephone and Julian and Adelaide standing so close. He picks up the phone, only to set it back down on the receiver. Unanswered.

"What are you two looking at?" The receptionist scolds angrily. "The rooms are upstairs!"

Now, Julian and Adelaide only blinked a couple of times, and before a few insults swerve into a fist fight, another receptionist stomps furiously out of the Staff room near the desk.

A woman around twenty, with the same uniform as the lazy guy, adjusted her black glasses before yelling at the guy who was supposed to service the two teens.

"John! What have I told you about talking rudely to customers?" She started. "And sleeping! God, you're hopeless." She turned her attention to the now fidgety Casanova and Delle, slipping a smile as part of her greeting.