Chapter 7: Crystal Heart

Start from the beginning

Noble's mother was off like the wind, and the light brown-haired boy was there by himself with his shoes buried in snow and his heart buried in his chest deep. He closed his eyes for a moment, praying the moon goddess that the night fare well in his stead. Much has happened to him in just this past week, and a bit of peace for the potential beast tamer would prevent early wrinkles. Snapping out of his constant daze, Noble forced it upon himself to act social, or at least alive for the time being.

There were many stalls to choose from while he waited for his friends to find him. A familiar face that bore Mylo's features was selling an odd hawk roast with a sweet tang to it. Noble actually chuckled at the thought since Sam's teacher might reject the offer to try some. Next to her's was a jewelry shop run by one of the elder's. His name was Elder Felix, and he was loose with his decisions but wise nonetheless.

"Ah! Noble, my boy!" Elder Felix spotted the oddly tall but frail Noble staring at his gems and stones that glimmered in the moonlight, "Does anything see fit to your eye?"

"Quite the interesting shop here you have here, Elder Felix." Noble complimented, and the elder's cheeks turned rosy.

"I'm glad you think so, lad. My brother traveled far and wide to find these to sell. He's here, actually!"

"Oh?"

"Miles! I would like to introduce you to one of the smartest boys I know, Noble Embers!" The man next to Noble's elder was identical but was dressed much more lavishly than his sibling. If Noble didn't know, this man just might be as rich as the royal family down the ways of the Lunis countryside. Was he just a very wealthy merchant or someone of status? Noble wondered on the thought.

It was weird though because Noble could've sworn the name was at least bit familiar to him. It was as if it was the on the top of his pink tongue but refused to present itself from the dark shadows of his mind.

The man greeted Noble with wide eyes, but quickly deflected the odd behavior with a toothy smile. Miles held out a hand, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Embers!"

"Just Noble, please," Noble caught the hasty act, "Nice to meet you too, Mr. Miles."

"A bit of an uptight one, is he?" Miles complimented with a full-on urban Lunis accent. Miles was obviously foreign if his looks hadn't given that away already, "So tall yet your posture says otherwise. Might you be tired or . . .?"

"Poor Noble here was born with a weak stomach. Or was it a weak heart? Perhaps both?" Elder Felix rubbed his chin in mystery, and Noble fought the urge to run and hide. It was utterly embarrassing to share that kind of information to such a new face, a very rich one at that too.

"I fall very ill easy, is what Elder Felix here is trying to explain," Noble corrected, playing with the gold pieces in his pockets with his slim fingers.

"Ah! You have my prayer for such distasteful luck. Perhaps, once I leave, I can recommend the royal doctor to come to visit? I heard he can cure anything!" Miles wrapped his arm around his younger sibling with a tight grip to follow, "Since I cannot do much to ease your pain, perhaps something that catches your eye might cheer your spirits this fine Lunar evening?"

Noble couldn't lie when he said he was surprised by such an offer to him. Does it mean he was willing to give something to Noble for no price whatsoever? Miles nodded to show his approval of Noble's internal mini-war. His silver eyes dropped too many pieces of jewelry able to fit the most beautiful of Queens. Much was colored with diamonds surrounding them, much to a woman's excitement. In cases behind the men were bracelets in a similar fashion as well as earrings to match the jewels. Something caught Noble's eye though.