Chapter 5

Daya's POV

It's been a few days since my mom caught me skipping school, & I've been giving her the silent treatment. She makes sure I enter school by taking me everyday & picking me back up. I know I shouldn't have skipped, but I didn't feel like going.

"Good morning Daya." My mom said. I looked her way as I opened up the fridge.

"You're still not speaking to me? That's cool, I'm not the one that got in trouble." She said. I internally rolled my eyes. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and ate.

"I was gonna ask if you wanted to visit Solange this weekend, but you're not even speaking." She said. I looked at her questionably because this could just be a ploy to get me to talk. I texted her my answer and finished my breakfast.

"Really Daya? Okay then don't go." She said. I huffed and decided to talk.

"Fine. Good morning mother." I said.

"Now was that hard to do?" She said.

"No and I'm sorry for skipping class. Won't happen again." I said.

"Oh I know it won't. But I was serious about leaving for New Orleans. Grandma Tina will be there too." She said. I nodded my head & washed my bowl & spoon out.

"Well I'm ready for school now." I said.

"Alright let's go."
~~~~~
I'm at my locker, getting my English book out when my friend Chasity approached me.

"Hey Daya. Are you still giving mom's the silent treatment?" She asked.

"Girl no. She asked if I wanted to visit my aunt in New Orleans and knew I'd crack and talk." She laughed as I closed my locker.

"So before you leave do you wanna come to my house after school and smoke?" I looked at her crazy.

"Did I not tell you my mama whooped my ass just for skipping? I can't get into anymore trouble." I said.

"Well what if I mix the weed in brownies this time so you could take 2 or 3 back with you?" I stood against my locker thinking.

"I'll think about it, and ask her tonight if I can come over tomorrow." I said.

"Cool. Text me her answer." Chasity said. She left and I walked into my English class just in time before the bell.
~~~~~
"How was school today?" My mom asked.

"It was alright. I took a test last week & I made an A on it." I said. She smiled.

"Awesome baby. See you're such a good student & I don't know why you choose to act reckless." Oh Lord, another speech.

"I know ma. Just let me live in this moment & enjoy my grade. Please no lecture." I said.

"Whatever but you need to listen to what I'm saying." She kept driving down the road. The radio played in the car to fill in our silence.

"So I was wondering if I could go to Chasity's house tomorrow after school?" I asked.

"Ummm what if she comes over to our house?" She said.

"No I wanna go to hers to work on homework and stuff." She stayed quiet for a moment until we pulled into the driveway.

"Yeah you can go. Is her mom dropping you off home?" She asked.

"I can ask her but most likely yes." I said.

"Alright. Help me get these groceries in the back." I got out and went to the back to carry the groceries inside. She had a lot, but I refused to make a second trip so I took all of them out.

"Daya what the hell are you doing?" Pops asked. He came to relieve a few of the bags wrapped around my neck.

"Hey I wasn't making a second trip out there." He shook his head and helped me put the groceries up. Leaving them in the kitchen, I went to my room to text Chasity. Once I did, I started my homework.

******COMMENT, VOTE!*****