Ch 29: Just Think About It

Selene drives me back to the house after we leave the girls, and after me explaining to her that I should probably also go home for dinner so I can't go with her and get anything to eat on the way. In the car she turns down her music and talks to me.

"Your friends seem fun" she says a little awkwardly.

I suppose trying to be motherly to a girl you've barely known for a couple weeks is a stretch, even for her.

"Yeah, but I didn't expect that they'd be having this whole event tomorrow night" I say to her, still surprised by the whole thing.

"You'll knock everybody's socks off tomorrow" she smiles "no one will be able to look away from you"

"Unless looking at the birthday girls right? Remember it's their birthday" I say.

"Well, I personally won't be able to stop looking at you, and I know Greyson won't either" she says and I frown in embarrassment.

"Uh huh" I say, I always hated that part bout parenting. Embarrassing the kid by making assumptions about any boy they know.

But I'd rather have it than not.

"Neither will Carden" she says and my frown etches deeper into my face.

"Yeah, great" I say, almost not wanting to go anymore.

"You think they'll start fighting over you?" She laughs "and Greyson will throw some books?"

"I just hope I can have a good night tomorrow night" I say in high hopes, disregarding everything and just focusing on being with the girls and having fun.

"We really are such an old town" she says out of the blue.

I look outside the car at the flashing green leaves and bushes and spots of black as I can see other houses in the distance.

"Yeah" I say.

"We still hold huge balls for any birthday past the age of sixteen" she chuckles at the actions of the people in town.

"Is everyone here rich or something?" I ask.

"Mostly" she says "this town was always like that, a very rich one, it's why Vampire's tended to fit in well"

Hmm. Makes sense, I guess. Vampires always do seem to have this hint of formality about them, at least, in fiction they do.

"Well, except the rabid horrible ones" she says.

"How come you let them stay now?" I ask her, knowing they have quite a few disgusting Vampires here now.

"We used to put them down if they were like that boy that attacked you, or that girl" she says "but as you can obviously tell, we can't really go and do that now, it's a little unethical"

"Good point" I say, to think it was so simple then to just put them down the moment they get caught attacking someone.

"but others would have two sides to them, attacking people like an animal in the dark and acting like a perfect aristocrat in public" She says as we pull up to the house.

"I guess you can't catch everyone" I say.

"Yeah, we don't have much of that anymore though, people don't just go missing like they used to" she says.

"Do you want to come inside at all?" I turn to her and ask as I unbuckle my seat-belt.

"Um, no I should get home, Orpheus is making dinner tonight and I don't want to miss out" she says, laughing "he cooks a couple meals a week and they're always the best ones"